A passenger ferry in New York full of commuters crashed into a dock in Lower Manhattan on Wednesday morning. Officials say 57 people were injured, two critically and nine seriously.
The ferry which had come from New Jersey had more than 300 people on board. Passengers were thrown from seats, into walls and down stairs when it slammed into the pier.
What caused the collision is not known.
Dee Wertz, an eyewitness to the ferry accident, said: “I was talking to one of the employees and he was telling me that none of these guys like this boat, the captains, because it has something different, it’s not jet propelled or something, and as he said that, literally, the front of the boat hit the corner of the barge.”
The ferry, built 10 years ago, is said to have recently had an overhaul. Records reportedly suggest the same boat had been involved in previous accidents.
Manhattan has several commuter lines for boat passengers. Another New York ferry disaster in 2003 killed 11 people, while three dozen were injured in a boat accident three years ago.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 10Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 19Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 20Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
Latest world news
Migrant dies in Channel Tunnel
Victim of London bombings worried that people are forgetting what happened
Al Shabab gunman kill quarry workers in northeast Kenya
Dutch PM to Greece: only way to keep the euro is deep reform
Pope wows the crowds with first papal visit to Ecuador in 30 years
Wires > News
- 13:00 CET Drone strikes target Islamic State fighters in eastern Afghanistan
- 12:55 CET First victims of deadliest migrant shipwreck given funeral in Italy
- 12:53 CET Syrian Kurds retake northern villages from Islamic State – monitor
- 12:40 CET Bomb in Nigeria’s Zaria city kills at least 20 people
- 12:08 CET Philippines ramps up military spending in face of China threat
- 11:39 CET China kicks off war commemorations with graphic exhibition
- 11:07 CET Turkish Airlines flight diverted to Delhi after “bomb threat”
- 10:27 CET Explosives stolen from army base in France