A passenger ferry in New York full of commuters crashed into a dock in Lower Manhattan on Wednesday morning. Officials say 57 people were injured, two critically and nine seriously.
The ferry which had come from New Jersey had more than 300 people on board. Passengers were thrown from seats, into walls and down stairs when it slammed into the pier.
What caused the collision is not known.
Dee Wertz, an eyewitness to the ferry accident, said: “I was talking to one of the employees and he was telling me that none of these guys like this boat, the captains, because it has something different, it’s not jet propelled or something, and as he said that, literally, the front of the boat hit the corner of the barge.”
The ferry, built 10 years ago, is said to have recently had an overhaul. Records reportedly suggest the same boat had been involved in previous accidents.
Manhattan has several commuter lines for boat passengers. Another New York ferry disaster in 2003 killed 11 people, while three dozen were injured in a boat accident three years ago.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
- 5What is behind Turkey’s recent diplomatic push?
Latest world news
Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
European Union leaders speak with one voice over Istanbul airport attacks
Stranded on plane during Istanbul terror attacks – euronews journalist reports
Anti Brexit voters march in favour of a referendum re-run
US college basketball loses coaching legend: Pat Summitt dies, aged 64
Wires > News
- 09:06 CET U.S.-backed Syrian rebels clash with IS fighters in border town -…
- 07:46 CET As Duterte takes over in Philippines, police killings stir fear
- 06:05 CET Exclusive: U.S. to upgrade Thailand in annual human trafficking…
- 02:23 CET Brazil Congress investigates lawmaker’s alleged support of torture
- 01:19 CET Dutch PM Rutte wants ‘binding’ assurances over EU’s Ukraine deal
- 00:15 CET Italy, Netherlands propose split U.N. Security Council seat for…
- 00:12 CET Clinton leads Trump by 11 points in U.S. presidential race -…
- 00:09 CET Canada presses China over reports of Hong Kong visa clamp down