Struggling French carmaker PSA Peugeot Citroen’s global sales have plunged.
As the eurozone crisis hit consumer demand in Europe, Peugeot’s sales outside the region have not increased fast enough to compensate.
France, Spain, Italy and Portugal – the worst hit markets – still account for more than half of Peugeot’s regional business.
Overall sales are down 16.5 percent from the previous year, and the company suffered its worst European sales performance in years with a 14.8 percent drop.
The global sales plunge was made worse by Peugeot responding to international sanctions and pulling out of Iran where it used to send cars in knock-down form to be assembled locally. That wiped 313,000 vehicles from its total.
Peugeot is cutting 10,000 jobs and closing production capacity to stem its mounting losses, which has angered French unions.
With a further three to five percent decline in sales forecast for the European market this year, Chief Executive Philippe Varin has warned the company won’t return to profit before 2015.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Partnering to grow Europe
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 9Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 182015 | archives : euronews
- 19French language revolution in France
- 20Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
Renault 2015 profit up despite big hit from Russia car sales slump
Rolls-Royce stock flying high even as it halves share dividend
Top European Uber executives on trial in France for running an illegal taxi operation
Budapest gets bitcoin taxis
Total bucks trend with better-than-expected profit numbers
Wires > Business
- 12:42 CET China Lunar New Year holiday retail sales up 11.2 percent…
- 11:48 CET Iran to ship four million barrels of crude to Europe in coming 24…
- 11:06 CET Russia VTB’s privatisation to take place when conditions…
- 10:56 CET Market turmoil could hold back euro zone inflation – ECB’s Coeure
- 08:02 CET Greek banks won’t need further recapitalisation, ECB’s Nouy says
- 05:49 CET China underground banks did $150 billion in transactions in 2015 -…
- 02:50 CET Visa’s investment in Square represents about 1 percent stake
- 01:39 CET Exclusive: NTT Data in lead to acquire Dell’s Perot Systems -…