Australia’s record-breaking heatwave is continuing to fuel outbreaks of wildfires across scores of thousands of hectares in the south east of the country.
The Australian weather centre has had to add two colours to its temperature charts to represent values above 50 degrees celsius.
The country’s average maximum temperature has been above 39 degrees for seven days on the trot – the previous record was four consecutive days in 1973.
At Ballarat north west of Melbourne several homes were destroyed by a grass fire, including a 120-year-old historic homestead. Local media reported that rescuers spotted the fire as soon as it started but were unable to stop the house going up in flames.
Bushfires are not uncommon during the Australian summer, but authorities had warned that this season could be particularly extreme after several years of cooler conditions encouraged more forest growth that is fuelling the flames.
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 5Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Wires > News
- 17:38 CET Afghanistan sees Taliban leader as rigid conservative uninterested…
- 17:26 CET Sanders may debate Trump, not Clinton, before California contest
- 16:59 CET Migrants stranded in Greece take to fields to avoid state-run camps
- 16:52 CET Italy says migrant boat capsized, second in two days
- 16:52 CET German police investigate Britons’ Nazi salute at death camp
- 16:48 CET Muslims attack Christians in south Egypt after rumoured affair
- 16:47 CET Ukraine bans Gorbachev over support for Crimea annexation
- 16:36 CET Turkish writer quits UNESCO to protest damage to heritage, rights…