Spain’s first high-speed rail link between Barcelona and Figueras has been given a royal send off.
Prince Felipe was guest of honour along with the Catalan leader Artur Mas for the inauguration of the line which reduces the journey time to less than one hour.
Spain’s rail network ended its isolation from Europe three years ago but this express line marks a new frontier in international travel, according to Spain’s Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy.
“This is something more than a simple railway. We are in front of one of the biggest and most ambitious infrastructure projects ever undertaken in our country. This is strategic infrastructure which is going to be a new hub of prosperity for Catalonia, the rest of Spain and the whole Europe,” said Rajoy.
Indeed, it will soon be possible to take a fast train from London in the morning, connect in Paris then get to the Catalan capital in plenty of time for dinner.
Further improvements are expected to cut journey times making it soon possible to travel from Britain to Madrid in a single day.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 2MH370: bad weather halts search as ‘unidentified material’ found on Australian coast
- 3War of words grows more heated as Russia accuses the US of ‘running the show’ in Ukraine
- 4Exhumations at suspected Serbia mass grave begin
- 5Transnistria territorially tempting to Russia
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 5Dragon docks at International Space Station
Wires > News
- 11:45 CET Libya faces enormous security challenge – U.S. diplomat
- 11:16 CET Obama reaffirms commitment to Japan on tour of Asia allies
- 10:56 CET U.N. Security Council members considering South Sudan sanctions
- 09:26 CET Three foreigners killed in attack in Afghan hospital – security…
- 09:25 CET Wage talks resume as South Africa platinum strike marks 13th week
- 08:36 CET Historic canonisation of two popes brings joy and controversy
- 07:48 CET Exclusive – Marubeni says Chinese authorities detain three staff…
- 07:03 CET Pakistan fighter jets target militant hideouts near Afghan border