08/01/13 10:27 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Argentina striker Lionel Messi has been crowned world footballer of the year for a fourth successive time after claiming FIFA’s Ballon d’Or award at a ceremony in Zurich.
The 25 year old beat Barcelona teammate Andres Iniesta and Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo to win the trophy.
Messi who finished 2012 with 91 goals becomes the only player in history to claim four awards, breaking the record he jointly held with UEFA president Michel Platini and Dutch duo Johan Cruyff and Marco Van Basten.
The Argentine international polled 41.60 per cent of the votes, with Ronaldo taking 23.68 per cent.
Despite leading Real Madrid to a sensational triumph in la Liga last year, the former United winger came second while his coach Jose Mourinho chose not to attend the ceremony.
Spanish international Andres Iniesta eventually had to settle for third place with 10.91 per cent.
The 28-year-old played in all six of Spain’s matches at the European Championship in Poland and Ukraine, and was named Man of the Match in three of those, including la Roja’s emphatic 4-0 win over Italy in the final.
And while USA forward Abby Wambach was named women’s world player of the year, Spain’s Vicente del Bosque was voted as coach of the year for the first time, holding off Mourinho and former Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 17latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 19Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 20account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Wires > Sport
- 21:06 CET Derby sack Clement after eight months in charge
- 19:45 CET Chelsea’s Zouma faces six months out after knee surgery
- 17:59 CET Swedish organisers cut stages after cancellation fears
- 17:16 CET Qatar considering special courts for World Cup offenders
- 16:36 CET Pietersen won’t be selected for World Twenty20 – Morgan
- 15:56 CET Klopp, Sturridge, Coutinho return for Liverpool
- 14:13 CET Fan eyes large windfall if Leicester complete fairytale
- 13:02 CET Swansea must kill off games not hold on to them – Fabianski