Argentina striker Lionel Messi has been crowned world footballer of the year for a fourth successive time after claiming FIFA’s Ballon d’Or award at a ceremony in Zurich.
The 25 year old beat Barcelona teammate Andres Iniesta and Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo to win the trophy.
Messi who finished 2012 with 91 goals becomes the only player in history to claim four awards, breaking the record he jointly held with UEFA president Michel Platini and Dutch duo Johan Cruyff and Marco Van Basten.
The Argentine international polled 41.60 per cent of the votes, with Ronaldo taking 23.68 per cent.
Despite leading Real Madrid to a sensational triumph in la Liga last year, the former United winger came second while his coach Jose Mourinho chose not to attend the ceremony.
Spanish international Andres Iniesta eventually had to settle for third place with 10.91 per cent.
The 28-year-old played in all six of Spain’s matches at the European Championship in Poland and Ukraine, and was named Man of the Match in three of those, including la Roja’s emphatic 4-0 win over Italy in the final.
And while USA forward Abby Wambach was named women’s world player of the year, Spain’s Vicente del Bosque was voted as coach of the year for the first time, holding off Mourinho and former Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola.
- 1Business as usual as Blatter joins Putin for World Cup draw
- 2Olympics: New stadium plans to be drawn up for Tokyo 2020
- 3Chapeau Christopher: Froome wins Tour du France
- 4Tour de France: Geschke claims maiden stage win, Froome maintains overall lead
- 5Judge requests new investigation into Jan Ullrich’s drink driving case
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Wires > Sport
- 17:39 CET Szczesny moves from Arsenal to AS Roma
- 17:25 CET Anderson takes six as Australia skittled for 136
- 17:09 CET McIlroy pulls out of Bridgestone Invitational
- 16:29 CET Southampton sign defender Caulker from QPR on loan
- 14:47 CET Platini, romantic or pragmatist?
- 13:27 CET Mourinho targets Benitez over wife’s messy remark
- 12:13 CET West Brom sign Wales defender Chester from Hull City
- 11:36 CET Yao holding court as Beijing bids for Winter Olympics