A new EU report has warned of a growing poverty gap in Europe.
The European Commission’s annual Employment and Social Developments review shows the continent is increasingly divided.
The latest figures from 2011 show the south to be the worst hit by unemployment, but a far better economic situation in northern European countries.
EU officials admit that the pace of austerity may have to be slowed.
“It is true that social policies alone will not be able to improve the social situation in the southern European countries,” said Laszlo Andor, European Commissioner for Employment.
“The stakeholders which are involved in the troika, but also in broader terms, need to work together for that, that might require more flexibility than in the past in terms of deadlines, in terms of speed and the composition of the consolidation’s measures,” he told euronews in Brussels.
More people out of work means less tax revenues for EU governments.That in turn means there is less money available to spend on welfare.
Some of the EU’s most indebted countries have seen household incomes slide dramatically over recent years.
Anti-poverty campaigners argue the depth of the current crisis shows the need for a Europe-wide benefits system to help those who are out of work.
“This could be a really good way for the EU to show that is doing something for the people,” said Sian Jones, a policy coordinator with the European Anti-Poverty Network.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand