No change in the health of cancer stricken Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez.
The Supreme Court must decide soon whether the constitution is flexible enough to do away with the necessity of Thursday’s planned inauguration.
The leader of the National Assembly Diosdado Cabello has called for mass rallies for Chavez come what may.
“There will be a big concentration here in Caracas on January 10, all of Venezuela will be in front of Miraflores Palace, with the people supporting our president, supporting Commandant Chavez,“said Cabello.
If the court does rule Chavez can assume another term as president the man ready to accept a temporary transfer of power is vice president Nicolas Maduro. However analysts predict Diosdado Cabello will mount a challenge.
Meanwhile the Venezuelan Catholic Church has added its voice to opposition concerns saying it would be a morally unacceptable violation of the constitution to allow Chavez to remain in power if he does miss his inauguration.
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 23D, 360° virtual reality is ready to launch – on an adult film
- 3Bombing in Syria not World War III, says Russia’s EU ambassador
- 4Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 5Syria: We believe that Russia has the wrong strategy, says US
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 10Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 13Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 14[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 15Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 18Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 19Migrant tripped up in Hungary gets Spanish football job
- 20Hungary’s army can shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at refugees
Wires > News
- 04:47 CET Malaysia arrests lawyer critical of PM Najib
- 03:31 CET Australia, Philippines negotiating asylum seeker transfer deal
- 02:17 CET France train attack hero Stone stabbed in California
- 23:44 CET SpaceX raps ULA bid to get U.S. waiver for Russian engines
- 23:28 CET Insight – Collision course with a hurricane: How doomed U.S. ship…
- 23:20 CET In India, a test for Modi’s economic reforms and Hindu agenda
- 23:15 CET Myanmar official accuses China of meddling in rebel peace talks
- 22:28 CET Syria extends offensive to retake territory in west