08/01/13 07:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
No change in the health of cancer stricken Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez.
The Supreme Court must decide soon whether the constitution is flexible enough to do away with the necessity of Thursday’s planned inauguration.
The leader of the National Assembly Diosdado Cabello has called for mass rallies for Chavez come what may.
“There will be a big concentration here in Caracas on January 10, all of Venezuela will be in front of Miraflores Palace, with the people supporting our president, supporting Commandant Chavez,“said Cabello.
If the court does rule Chavez can assume another term as president the man ready to accept a temporary transfer of power is vice president Nicolas Maduro. However analysts predict Diosdado Cabello will mount a challenge.
Meanwhile the Venezuelan Catholic Church has added its voice to opposition concerns saying it would be a morally unacceptable violation of the constitution to allow Chavez to remain in power if he does miss his inauguration.
- 1Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 2Democratic nomination: Clinton crushes Sanders – thanks to “superdelegates”
- 3Turkey threatens to unleash refugees on Europe
- 4Nigeria: suicide bomber turns herself in after recognising relatives among potential victims
- 5Russian aircraft strike ‘extremist’ targets in Syria’s Aleppo province
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 13latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
Wires > News
- 02:12 CET Beijing offers support for Hong Kong after New Year violence
- 01:26 CET U.S. Defense Department promises plan to defeat Islamic State
- 01:23 CET U.S. House seen passing North Korea sanctions bill Friday
- 01:04 CET Major powers agree on plan to break Syria deadlock
- 00:01 CET Taiwan city looks at developer’s other buildings after quake…
- 23:44 CET South Korea cuts off power, water into Kaesong zone in North Korea
- 23:33 CET Uncertainty at Syria talks as Russia backs government advance
- 23:20 CET U.S. blacklists prominent Islamic State preacher, two others