08/01/13 07:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
No change in the health of cancer stricken Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez.
The Supreme Court must decide soon whether the constitution is flexible enough to do away with the necessity of Thursday’s planned inauguration.
The leader of the National Assembly Diosdado Cabello has called for mass rallies for Chavez come what may.
“There will be a big concentration here in Caracas on January 10, all of Venezuela will be in front of Miraflores Palace, with the people supporting our president, supporting Commandant Chavez,“said Cabello.
If the court does rule Chavez can assume another term as president the man ready to accept a temporary transfer of power is vice president Nicolas Maduro. However analysts predict Diosdado Cabello will mount a challenge.
Meanwhile the Venezuelan Catholic Church has added its voice to opposition concerns saying it would be a morally unacceptable violation of the constitution to allow Chavez to remain in power if he does miss his inauguration.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
Fatal rebel rocket attack on government hospital in Aleppo says Syrian state TV
Spain arrests four men allegedly behind on-line Islamist Radicalisation plot
Probe indicates falsified documents in Flamanville nuclear plant construction
Turkey to abolish visas for Greek Cypriots
Australia vows no change in asylum policy after Somali woman sets herself on fire
Wires > News
- 12:22 CET China to investigate hospital dying student found on search engine
- 12:15 CET Rebel rockets hit Aleppo hospital, dozens of casualties – Syrian…
- 12:08 CET Czechs to hike healthcare salaries to stop doctors from leaving…
- 11:59 CET Spanish King calls national election for June 26
- 11:52 CET U.S. service member killed in Iraq – U.S. defence chief
- 11:48 CET France’s Hollande sends labour bill to parliament in face of…
- 11:38 CET Australian government delivers sombre election budget for…
- 11:13 CET China slashes influential Communist Youth League’s budget