Only days after making headlines for receiving Russian nationality, French actor Gérard Depardieu has failed to appear at a Paris’ court where he was summoned to appear after allegedly crashing his scooter while driving drunk.
The incident happened last November with a blood-alcohol level nearly four times over the legal limit. It is the second time he has failed to meet an appointment with the justice system, Depardieu’s lawyer said.
Depardieu “despite his wishes to be present and meet with the prosecutor, and without any intention of evading the justice system, could absolutely not be present today,” his lawyer stated, adding that the actor is currently in a Balkan country to finalize a deal regarding a movie depicting the 2011 Dominique Strauss-Kahn sex and political scandal.
Because of his two missed appointments with prosecutors, Depardieu will now face a criminal court. The date of the trial has not been disclosed but Depardieu will not be required to appear in person, thus avoiding further media exposure after weeks of controversy surrounding his tax exile in Belgium and his new Russian nationality.
Depardieu now faces a fine of up to 4,500 euros and two years in jail.
Copyright © 2013 euronewsMore about:
- 18:11 CET U.N. approves French action in Central African Republic after…
- 18:05 CET Italian court moves to expel former Ku Klux Klan leader
- 17:53 CET Hurricane-force winds hit Scotland, close in on Germany
- 17:49 CET Palestinians reject U.S. security ideas for Israel peace accord
- 17:36 CET Suicide bomber kills at least 20 at Yemen’s Defence Ministry -…
- 17:32 CET Sweden key partner for U.S. spying on Russia – TV
- 17:18 CET Syria top priority for Red Cross in 2014 despite limited access
- 17:08 CET Anti-graft official slams South Africa minister for “reckless“…