Only days after making headlines for receiving Russian nationality, French actor Gérard Depardieu has failed to appear at a Paris’ court where he was summoned to appear after allegedly crashing his scooter while driving drunk.
The incident happened last November with a blood-alcohol level nearly four times over the legal limit. It is the second time he has failed to meet an appointment with the justice system, Depardieu’s lawyer said.
Depardieu “despite his wishes to be present and meet with the prosecutor, and without any intention of evading the justice system, could absolutely not be present today,” his lawyer stated, adding that the actor is currently in a Balkan country to finalize a deal regarding a movie depicting the 2011 Dominique Strauss-Kahn sex and political scandal.
Because of his two missed appointments with prosecutors, Depardieu will now face a criminal court. The date of the trial has not been disclosed but Depardieu will not be required to appear in person, thus avoiding further media exposure after weeks of controversy surrounding his tax exile in Belgium and his new Russian nationality.
Depardieu now faces a fine of up to 4,500 euros and two years in jail.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 03:52 CET Canadians flock to Parliament Hill, site of attack on soldier
- 03:48 CET Botswana president’s party secures election victory
- 02:17 CET Washington state teen shooter’s family living in ‘nightmare’
- 02:06 CET Tunisians vote for new parliament, hope for full democracy
- 23:59 CET Germany’s Merkel deals blow to UK on EU migration reform – Sunday…
- 23:00 CET Brazil’s election too close to call on eve of runoff
- 22:08 CET Egypt eyes legal restrictions, military measures after Sinai…
- 21:42 CET Ebola death toll tops 4,900 as virus spreads – WHO