Pakistani born Abid Naseer has pleaded not guilty to terrorism charges in a New York court.
The 26-year-old who was extradited from Britain along with several others is accused of taking part in an international al Qaeda plot to attack targets in the United States and Europe.
Naseer is facing up to life in prison on charges including providing material support to al Qaeda and conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction against the English city of Manchester.
His court appointed lawyer says much of the evidence against his client is circumstantial.
However Naseer is also accused of involvement in the 2009 plot to bomb the New York subway system. Two other alleged conspirators have already pleaded guilty to planning the attacks and a third was found guilty last year.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1NATO accuses Russian bombers of flying close to its airspace
- 2Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms
- 3France ‘to deliver’ Mistral warship, says Russia
- 4Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released
- 5France says ‘conditions not met’ for Mistral warship delivery to Russia
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 3International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 4Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 5European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9What to expect in “The World of Ice and Fire,” George R.R. Martin’s new book | euronews, world news
- 10Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 11Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 15Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 19euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 20Maritime drama deepens as Sweden extends ‘mystery submarine’ search | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 14:15 CET Ukraine says EU to be guarantor in any Russia gas deal
- 14:12 CET Iran says foils bid to sabotage nuclear heavy-water tanks -…
- 14:05 CET Merkel not acutely worried about Russian violations of airspace
- 13:48 CET Pakistan province rewrites text books to satisfy Islamic…
- 13:47 CET Clashes erupt as Israeli police kill Palestinian suspected of…
- 13:04 CET Sweden recognises Palestinian state, hopes will revive peace…
- 12:37 CET Hong Kong protests a ‘national security issue’ for China
- 12:30 CET EU says Russia/Ukraine gas deal ‘very close’