Venezuelan legislators have re-elected Chavez ally, Diosdado Cabello as head of the National Assembly.
The move puts Cabello in line for the position of caretaker president if the incumbent, Hugo Chavez, fails to recover from complications following cancer surgery in Cuba.
Beatriz Lecumberri is a journalist and author of “The Sentimental Revolution.”
She spoke to euronews about the next move for the socialists of Hugo Chavez:
“All the rumours that speak of the internal conflict between National Assembly leader, Diosdado Cabello and Vice-President Nicolas Maduro are hard to believe, both realise that the revolution must continue and they will respect what Chavez says to maintain order.
The issue now is not Maduro or anyone within the Chavez clan.
The next conflict will be Maduro against someone from the opposition.
Chavez has said that Maduro is his heir and he will take the top job. Elections will then follow. Venezuelans will decide, for me the big question.
is, are the opposition led by Henrique Caprile, strong enough to take power at the polls? The message to Chavez’s socialists is no infighting and present a united front to beat the opposition in the election.”
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Palestinian leadership halts security ties with Israel
- 2LaGuardia runway in ‘good condition’ before Delta Airlines crash-land
- 3South Korea: Man arrested after knife attack on US ambassador
- 4Harrison Ford ‘battered but OK’ after crash landing plane
- 5Ukraine crisis tops agenda in Renzi’s first official visit to Moscow
- 1Iraq intensifies assault on ISIL stronghold, Tikrit
- 2South Korea: Man arrested after knife attack on US ambassador
- 3[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 4The recovery of bodies goes on after Donetsk mine blast
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 1Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 2‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 3Iraq intensifies assault on ISIL stronghold, Tikrit
- 4[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 5South Korea: Man arrested after knife attack on US ambassador
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 12euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 13London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330 | euronews, world news
- 16Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 17European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 18Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 19Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 20Exclusive: Sudan’s Bashir on ISIL, Darfur and accusations of genocide and war crimes | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > News
- 11:27 CET After battle, frostbite in the ruins of Ukraine’s Donetsk
- 11:14 CET Tunisian troops find large arms cache near Libya border
- 11:12 CET Vocal critic of Tajik president shot dead in Istanbul
- 10:55 CET Britain – EU to prepare possible new sanctions on Russia over…
- 10:54 CET Malaysia Airlines upgrades aircraft tracking, a year after MH370
- 10:48 CET Thai panel drops plan to ban junta from politics for two years
- 10:46 CET Kremlin critic Navalny walks out of Moscow jail
- 10:22 CET Top US diplomat cautious on sending arms to Ukraine