A Moroccan family of five have been killed in a light plane crash in south-eastern France.
The couple and their three young children, a girl and two boys, were the only people on board.
The adults were flying the twin-engine aircraft themselves. Farid Berrada, who was 46, was the head of a large painting firm in Morocco.
The alarm was raised by a man who saw the plane crash into a hillside.
“I heard a noise coming from the plane, it was as if the plane’s engine wasn’t working properly, and then there was a big bang,” said a witness.
The plane crashed shortly after take-off from Grenoble airport early yesterday afternoon. It came down near Saint-Pierre-de-Bressieux.
The cause isn’t known and no theory has been put forward.
Last November six people died when an Algerian military transport plane crashed in the same region.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
US college basketball loses coaching legend: Pat Summitt dies, aged 64
IKEA recalls millions of chests and dressers following link to children’s deaths
France: deadly fire engulfs chemical plant near Lyon
Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
Thousands protest in France as Senate approves controversial labour law
Wires > News
- 02:23 CET Brazil Congress investigates lawmaker’s alleged support of torture
- 01:19 CET Dutch PM Rutte wants ‘binding’ assurances over EU’s Ukraine deal
- 01:18 CET As Duterte takes over in Philippines, police killings stir fear
- 00:15 CET Italy, Netherlands propose split U.N. Security Council seat for…
- 00:12 CET Clinton leads Trump by 11 points in U.S. presidential race -…
- 00:09 CET Canada presses China over reports of Hong Kong visa clamp down
- 23:44 CET Exclusive – Trump supporters more likely to view blacks…
- 23:11 CET Women subjected to torture by Mexican police, armed forces – report