Egypt’s Coptic Christians celebrate Christmas for the first time since Muslim Brotherhood president Mohammed Mursi came to power.
The minority group mark the holy event against the backdrop of a newly-finalised constitution without input from liberal and Christian members of the assembley after they walked out in protest.
It is also the first Christmas in charge for Pope Tawadros II – ordained in mid-November.
Many of Egypt’s Coptic Christians are worried about the future, according to Youssef Sidhom, Editor-in-chief at Coptic Christian Egyptian weekly newspaper Watani.
“Copts have many concerns and worries about what hidden intentions lie between the lines in the constitution and what are they going to be expecting as legislation that may change their lives,” he said.
Even before the ousting of former president Hosni Mubarak, 21 people were killed in a church in Alexandria on January 1, 2011. Al Qaeda was blamed for the attack.
The fear is that Christians, who make up about 10 percent of the population, could now face more attacks and discrimination.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Funeral of singer Demis Roussos held in Athens
- 2Greece warned against reversing austerity as it rejects bailout administrators
- 344 police commandos killed in anti-terror op mourned in Philippines
- 4‘Only Russia’ dangerously probes British airspace, says source
- 5No more Troika talks as Greece seeks new debt deal
- 1Ukrainian artillery fire thwarts rebel plan to surround government troops in Debaltseve
- 244 police commandos killed in anti-terror op mourned in Philippines
- 3Greece warned against reversing austerity as it rejects bailout administrators
- 4Gunman interrupts Dutch broadcast to demand airtime before being arrested
- 5‘Positive signs’ Greece will work together with lenders to reach deal
- 1Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 2French co-pilot was at controls of doomed AirAsia passenger plane say investigators
- 3No word on Japanese hostages after ISIL deadline passes
- 4Japan and Jordan join forces to secure release of two of their nationals from the hands of ISIL
- 5Ukrainian rebel attacks on city of Mariupol are condemned by the UN as a war crime
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6[LIVE] Second hostage crisis erupts in Paris as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 7Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 13Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 16HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 17NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Getting to know Sir Tony and “the world’s greatest tenor” | euronews, musica
- 19Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
- 20International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
Wires > News
- 13:35 CET Germany’s von Weizsaecker, president at unification, dies at 94
- 13:31 CET France and Morocco to resume judicial cooperation – French…
- 13:25 CET Italy elects senior judge Sergio Mattarella as president
- 13:17 CET Sri Lanka president appoints top judge as chief justice
- 13:00 CET Tens of thousand rally for Spain’s Podemos before elections
- 12:46 CET Egyptian court bans Hamas’ armed wing, lists as terrorist…
- 12:42 CET Macedonia authorities allege opposition plot to topple government
- 11:24 CET Two die as Muslim protesters clash with police in Afghan capital -…