06/01/13 10:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
French actor Gerard Depardieu has been personally handed his new Russian passport by the country president Vladimir Putin.
The two met for dinner at the Black Sea coastal city of Sochi on Saturding, after Depardieu was granted Russian citizenship earlier in the week.
The French movie star has been threatening to leave France over the proposed introduction of a 75 percent tax on earnings over one million euros.
The Kremlin has been keen let the world know about Russia’s 13 percent flat rate on income tax.
In a letter published in the Russian press, Depardieu praised the cultural, social and political
virtues of his new home and promised to learn the language.
He initially talked about moving to Belgium, but authorities there warned if the French actor became Russian, they would consider his request for naturalisation “differently”.
Latest world news
Turkey: journalist heading to state secrets trial shot at moments before verdict
Second successful sea landing for SpaceX
Turkey won’t change anti-terror laws for EU visa-free travel – Erdogan
Cologne attacks: Algerian man acquitted of attempted sexual assault
Greece grinds to near halt in 48-hour general strike
Wires > News
- 18:32 CET Assailant tries to shoot prominent Turkish journalist outside court
- 18:30 CET Brazil senate committee votes for Rousseff impeachment trial
- 18:22 CET Pakistan’s tribal councils in spotlight after brutal ‘honour…
- 18:13 CET Russian firm milks chilly U.S.-Kremlin ties with ‘Little Obama‘…
- 18:01 CET Moroccan court jails brother of suspected Paris attack planner
- 17:21 CET Helicopters lead convoy through fire-ravaged Canadian city
- 17:08 CET Lawmaker in India’s Goa charged with buying, drugging and raping…
- 16:52 CET Romanian ex-president being investigated on suspicion of money…