06/01/13 10:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
French actor Gerard Depardieu has been personally handed his new Russian passport by the country president Vladimir Putin.
The two met for dinner at the Black Sea coastal city of Sochi on Saturding, after Depardieu was granted Russian citizenship earlier in the week.
The French movie star has been threatening to leave France over the proposed introduction of a 75 percent tax on earnings over one million euros.
The Kremlin has been keen let the world know about Russia’s 13 percent flat rate on income tax.
In a letter published in the Russian press, Depardieu praised the cultural, social and political
virtues of his new home and promised to learn the language.
He initially talked about moving to Belgium, but authorities there warned if the French actor became Russian, they would consider his request for naturalisation “differently”.
Wires > News
- 07:39 CET Outrage in multi-ethnic Malaysia as government backs Islamic law
- 06:59 CET U.S. forces in Okinawa hold month of mourning for murdered…
- 06:22 CET Mexico drug boss Chapo files legal challenge against extradition -…
- 06:11 CET Pakistani PM to undergo heart surgery in London
- 04:23 CET Argentine court finds 15 guilty in Operation Condor conspiracy
- 03:07 CET Colombia’s ELN rebels free three kidnapped journalists
- 02:31 CET Global airport trade group opposes new checkpoints after attacks
- 02:19 CET Lebanese Hezbollah ministers, MPs could be hit by U.S. law – …