French actor Gerard Depardieu has been personally handed his new Russian passport by the country president Vladimir Putin.
The two met for dinner at the Black Sea coastal city of Sochi on Saturding, after Depardieu was granted Russian citizenship earlier in the week.
The French movie star has been threatening to leave France over the proposed introduction of a 75 percent tax on earnings over one million euros.
The Kremlin has been keen let the world know about Russia’s 13 percent flat rate on income tax.
In a letter published in the Russian press, Depardieu praised the cultural, social and political
virtues of his new home and promised to learn the language.
He initially talked about moving to Belgium, but authorities there warned if the French actor became Russian, they would consider his request for naturalisation “differently”.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 2Ukrainian army storms illegal checkpoints killing at least five
- 3MH370: bad weather halts search as ‘unidentified material’ found on Australian coast
- 4Turkish prime minister talks of ‘shared pain’ in statement on Armenian killings
- 5War of words grows more heated as Russia accuses the US of ‘running the show’ in Ukraine
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 5Dragon docks at International Space Station
Wires > News
- 19:23 CET Three Americans killed in Kabul hospital attack
- 19:12 CET At least six killed as poll violence hits restive Indian regions
- 19:01 CET Israel suspends peace talks after Palestinian unity bid
- 18:40 CET Netanyahu: Israel will never negotiate with Hamas-backed government
- 18:38 CET South Sudan to free prisoners as pressure mounts for peace deal
- 17:49 CET Egypt’s army says has ‘complete control’ over Sinai Peninsula
- 17:48 CET Israel suspends peace talks with Palestinians – Israeli official
- 17:48 CET Syrian air strikes kill dozens at market near Aleppo -report