French actor Gerard Depardieu has been personally handed his new Russian passport by the country president Vladimir Putin.
The two met for dinner at the Black Sea coastal city of Sochi on Saturding, after Depardieu was granted Russian citizenship earlier in the week.
The French movie star has been threatening to leave France over the proposed introduction of a 75 percent tax on earnings over one million euros.
The Kremlin has been keen let the world know about Russia’s 13 percent flat rate on income tax.
In a letter published in the Russian press, Depardieu praised the cultural, social and political
virtues of his new home and promised to learn the language.
He initially talked about moving to Belgium, but authorities there warned if the French actor became Russian, they would consider his request for naturalisation “differently”.
- 1Myanmar refuses sole responsibility in Rohingya migrant crisis
- 2Russia ‘amassing artillery’ near border with eastern Ukraine, reports suggest
- 3Greece designs new two-euro coin amid fears of Grexit
- 4Putin classifies Russian troop deaths during peacetime a state secret
- 5Nigeria: Buhari inaugurated in first democratic transfer of power
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 7Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 8Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 12EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 13How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 14Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 15Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 16Recharging without cables: the road ahead for electric cars
- 17We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
- 18Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 19Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 20How World War II shaped modern Poland | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 17:53 CET Russian aircraft head off U.S. destroyer in Black Sea – RIA
- 17:51 CET U.S., allies conduct 22 air strikes against Islamic State…
- 16:37 CET Gunmen shoot dead two soldiers in south of Thailand – police
- 16:26 CET Police break up unsanctioned gay rally in central Moscow
- 13:37 CET Myanmar lands seized migrant boat on island
- 13:26 CET Gunmen kill 22 bus passengers in Pakistan attack
- 13:16 CET U.S. says China’s island-building erodes security; Beijing angered
- 12:20 CET U.S.-Egyptian released from Egypt jail-family