French actor Gerard Depardieu has been personally handed his new Russian passport by the country president Vladimir Putin.
The two met for dinner at the Black Sea coastal city of Sochi on Saturding, after Depardieu was granted Russian citizenship earlier in the week.
The French movie star has been threatening to leave France over the proposed introduction of a 75 percent tax on earnings over one million euros.
The Kremlin has been keen let the world know about Russia’s 13 percent flat rate on income tax.
In a letter published in the Russian press, Depardieu praised the cultural, social and political
virtues of his new home and promised to learn the language.
He initially talked about moving to Belgium, but authorities there warned if the French actor became Russian, they would consider his request for naturalisation “differently”.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 3Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
- 4UN on human rights in Ukraine: ‘stop lies, propaganda and inciting hatred’
- 5[Live] Ukraine: NATO reinforces Eastern Europe Defences as Pro-Russian progress in Donetsk and Kramatorsk
- 1Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 2Mind-bending vending machine dispenses marijuana
- 3Ukrainian troops begin ‘anti-terror operation’ in eastern city Kramatorsk
- 4Deadly bomb attack in Abuja is blamed on Boko Haram
- 5Divisions widen in Ukraine as Kyiv is urged to rein in pro-Russian separatists
Wires > News
- 14:37 CET Egyptian court jails 119 Mursi supporters
- 14:37 CET Iran expects next payment under nuclear deal, signalling compliance
- 14:35 CET Megaupload’s Dotcom, facing legal threat, launches political party
- 14:02 CET Jordanian warplanes destroy vehicles trying to cross from Syria -…
- 13:59 CET Yemen’s al Qaeda leader vows to attack America in new video
- 13:39 CET Russia mulls lawsuit against United States in WTO over sanctions
- 13:13 CET Nearly 300 missing after South Korean ferry capsizes – coastguard
- 12:34 CET Palestinians, Israeli police clash at Jerusalem holy site