Venezuela’s government may be trying to postpone next week’s inauguration of ill president Hugo Chávez.
Newly re-elected leader of Venezuela’s National Assembly Diosdado Cabello has told supporters “it doesn’t mean anything” if Chávez is unable to be sworn in on Thursday.
The government admits Chavez has suffered multiple complications after cancer surgery.
“Comandante Chávez, the leader of the revolution, the president of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, has been granted a permission from the National Assembly,” Cabello told a crowd in Caracas.
“Even the opposition, who were at this session, voted to give President Chávez permission to be attended to medically,” he added.
The vote by the assembly, which is dominated by Chávez supporters, confirms Diosdado Cabello as the third most powerful figure in the government.
He and Vice President Nicolas Maduro will effectively be running the country while Chávez remains hospitalised in Cuba.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1International investigators reach MH17 crash site in Ukraine
- 2Ukrainian prime minister’s triumphant speech after resignation rejected
- 3Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target
- 4Fresh Israeli shelling hits UN school injuring scores of children
- 5#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
Wires > News
- 02:42 CET Sudanese woman who had faced execution for conversion arrives in…
- 02:07 CET For wandering tankers with $300 million of Kurdish crude, end-game…
- 00:47 CET Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729
- 00:15 CET Taiwan gas blast kills 15, injures 243 – local media
- 00:01 CET Iraqi Kurds, battling Islamist threat, press Washington for arms
- 23:11 CET Game of thrones- Afghan leadership vacuum raises summit questions
- 20:00 CET Ukraine premier stays on, envoys agree on crash site route
- 19:29 CET Russia’s top general says Moscow committed to nuclear missile…