Venezuela’s government may be trying to postpone next week’s inauguration of ill president Hugo Chávez.
Newly re-elected leader of Venezuela’s National Assembly Diosdado Cabello has told supporters “it doesn’t mean anything” if Chávez is unable to be sworn in on Thursday.
The government admits Chavez has suffered multiple complications after cancer surgery.
“Comandante Chávez, the leader of the revolution, the president of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, has been granted a permission from the National Assembly,” Cabello told a crowd in Caracas.
“Even the opposition, who were at this session, voted to give President Chávez permission to be attended to medically,” he added.
The vote by the assembly, which is dominated by Chávez supporters, confirms Diosdado Cabello as the third most powerful figure in the government.
He and Vice President Nicolas Maduro will effectively be running the country while Chávez remains hospitalised in Cuba.
- 1Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
- 2Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 3Hollande adds Italy to his coalition before heading to Moscow
- 4Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 5Media war Turkish and Russian press react to downed fighter
- 1Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 2Russia says second SU-24 crew member safe and back at base in Syria
- 3Turkey insists it seeks no fight with Russia on its Syrian border as Russia boosts air base defences
- 4Calls for calm as tensions rise over Turkish downing of Russian jet
- 5Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 13New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 16‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 17Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 18Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 20Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
Latest world news
Flagmakers rush to meet demand as France prepares public show for Paris victims
Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
South Africa lifts ban on domestic rhino horn trade
Belgium lowers state of alert in Brussels from maximum level
10 Rosneft workers killed in Krasnoyarsk helicopter crash
Wires > News
- 20:05 CET Russia seeks economic revenge against Turkey over jet
- 19:44 CET Cameron says time to bomb militants in Syria
- 19:23 CET Khodorkovsky says Putin is leading Russia towards stagnation…
- 19:04 CET South Sudan food team finds risk of ‘widespread catastrophe’
- 18:55 CET German police arrest two in Berlin suspected of planning attack
- 18:10 CET Belgium lowers security alert level in Brussels
- 18:08 CET Britain building consensus for military action in Syria – Hammond
- 17:26 CET Stranded migrants try to storm into Macedonia, tear down fence