A financial package to help victims of Superstorm Sandy has been passed by US Congress, although a quarter of Republican members voted against it.
The money, 9.7 billion US dollars – about 7.4 billion euros – is only a fraction of the original figure, and many are angry that a vote on the remaining 50 billion dollars has been delayed by Republican House Speaker John Boehner until the January, 15.
Sandy caused an estimated 71 billion dollars worth of damage to New York and New Jersey on the east coast of America at the end of October – and those affected are tired of waiting for help.
“This is a strong middle class working area and we pay our taxes. It’s time that the people in this community in Breezy Point see some of that support from the government,” said Cody Doran, grandson of a Breezy Point homeowner.
There is suspicion that partisan politics played a part in the decision to only approve one sixth of the original figure, and fears that the January, 15 vote may also be affected.
“I feel that we are a blue state, and all the Congressmen from the red states postponed not because of us, but because of our political affiliation here,” said New York homeowner Ralph Petagna.
Sandy, which claimed more than 130 lives, is said to be second only to 2005’s Hurricane Katrina when it comes to economic damage caused by natural disasters in the US.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 247 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 3Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 10:14 CET Indonesia’s Prabowo faces uncertain fate in opposition
- 09:55 CET U.S. lifts ban on flights to Israel as Gaza toll tops 700
- 09:47 CET Clashes in Libya’s Benghazi kill at least nine
- 09:40 CET Attack on bus in Iraq kills 51 prisoners, nine police
- 09:37 CET Disenchanted with Putin, some Russians vote with their feet
- 09:30 CET Taiwan says weather not seen as cause of plane crash that killed 48
- 09:20 CET U.N. urges sustained effort to improve flagging development
- 09:12 CET Train rams school bus in southern India, kills 13