A financial package to help victims of Superstorm Sandy has been passed by US Congress, although a quarter of Republican members voted against it.
The money, 9.7 billion US dollars – about 7.4 billion euros – is only a fraction of the original figure, and many are angry that a vote on the remaining 50 billion dollars has been delayed by Republican House Speaker John Boehner until the January, 15.
Sandy caused an estimated 71 billion dollars worth of damage to New York and New Jersey on the east coast of America at the end of October – and those affected are tired of waiting for help.
“This is a strong middle class working area and we pay our taxes. It’s time that the people in this community in Breezy Point see some of that support from the government,” said Cody Doran, grandson of a Breezy Point homeowner.
There is suspicion that partisan politics played a part in the decision to only approve one sixth of the original figure, and fears that the January, 15 vote may also be affected.
“I feel that we are a blue state, and all the Congressmen from the red states postponed not because of us, but because of our political affiliation here,” said New York homeowner Ralph Petagna.
Sandy, which claimed more than 130 lives, is said to be second only to 2005’s Hurricane Katrina when it comes to economic damage caused by natural disasters in the US.
- 1French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
- 2Christians protest against Israel’s ‘divisive’ separation barrier
- 3Large protests in Japan against plans to expand military role
- 4Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 5Austria and Hungary hope arrests will lead to human trafficking ringleaders
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Destination northern Europe: thousands make daily ‘journey of death’
- 3Disruption continues after travellers end French motorway blockade
- 4Martin Schulz attacks ‘cynical’ EU governments over migrants crisis
- 5Palestinian women and children force Israeli soldier to release boy
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 7Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Why World Elephant Day matters
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
Freddie Krueger creator Wes Craven has died aged 76
Hundreds pay tribute to police officer killed at a Texas petrol station
Syrian regime accused of bombing civilians in Damascus suburb
More civilian deaths in Saudi-led air raids on suspected Houthi targets
Protesters angry over destruction of ‘Mephistopheles’ in St Petersburg
Wires > News
- 07:55 CET Refugee crisis suddenly Merkel’s biggest challenge
- 07:38 CET China party says no disrespect meant with Jiang sign removal
- 07:00 CET Cambodia says no plan to take more refugees from Australian…
- 06:22 CET China property developers to buy back Tianjin blast homes – Xinhua
- 03:35 CET ‘The Storm Makers’ puts Cambodia’s sex-trafficking under spotlight
- 03:08 CET Insight – Clan warfare trumps diplomacy in Mali’s fragile north
- 01:39 CET Fire at Saudi oil workers’ compound kills 10, many injured
- 21:40 CET Islamic State destroys part of Syria’s Temple of Bel – monitors