Thousands of toy guns that look like the real thing have been destroyed in a symbolic ceremony in Mexico City.
The authorities say many are used by criminals taking advantage of the fact the victims cannot tell whether or not they are genuine.
The fake guns were seized from stores in the capital and surrounding area as part of an operation to prevent violence.
“At least three out of 10 violent crimes committed in Mexico City are carried out using these kinds of fake weapons. Three out of 10,” said the mayor of Mexico City, Miguel Mancera.
Laws in Mexico require that toy weapons are different in size and colour from real guns.
The authorities said the recent massacre at a US primary school influenced the operation.
It took place days before Epiphany when children traditionally receive presents.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 14:52 CET Kurdish forces retake north Iraqi town from Islamic State -…
- 14:35 CET Lebanon army fights Islamist gunmen in Tripoli for second day
- 14:32 CET Two U.S. states to quarantine health workers returning from Ebola…
- 14:27 CET Ebola death toll tops 4,900 as virus spreads – WHO
- 14:24 CET Protesters march against Renzi labour reforms in Rome
- 14:20 CET Al Qaeda militants push back Shi’ite rebels’ advance on central…
- 14:18 CET India picks Israel’s Spike anti-tank missile over U.S. Javelin -…
- 14:09 CET South Korea group launches anti-North leaflets amid threats from…