Thousands of toy guns that look like the real thing have been destroyed in a symbolic ceremony in Mexico City.
The authorities say many are used by criminals taking advantage of the fact the victims cannot tell whether or not they are genuine.
The fake guns were seized from stores in the capital and surrounding area as part of an operation to prevent violence.
“At least three out of 10 violent crimes committed in Mexico City are carried out using these kinds of fake weapons. Three out of 10,” said the mayor of Mexico City, Miguel Mancera.
Laws in Mexico require that toy weapons are different in size and colour from real guns.
The authorities said the recent massacre at a US primary school influenced the operation.
It took place days before Epiphany when children traditionally receive presents.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 5Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 9Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 10Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 11How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 12Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 13ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 14Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 17Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 19International news | euronews, latest international news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 19:41 CET U.S. cannot confirm al Qaeda claim in blogger’s killing in…
- 19:37 CET Italy parliament passes Renzi’s electoral reform
- 19:33 CET Afghan talks agree on reopening Taliban political office
- 19:31 CET Senegal to send 2,100 troops to join Saudi-led alliance
- 19:21 CET Baltic military shadow-boxing said to reach Cold War levels
- 19:19 CET Police raid home of gunman in Mohammad cartoon attack in Texas
- 19:11 CET Europe toughens up pilot training rules to prevent accidents
- 19:07 CET Iraqi forces plead for help as Islamic State closes in on refinery