05/01/13 17:45 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Fifteen year old Neil Ibata has made a scientific discovery that may change the way we understand the nearest ‘large’ galaxy to our own – Andromeda.
The school boy from Strasbourg was doing an internship at the city’s astronomical observatory,
where his father works, when he came across the findings with a new computer programme he had just learnt how to use.
Admitting he hadn’t spent a hundredth of the time using the programme as his father, he says: “We calculated the distance and speed of this galaxy, which allowed me to model it. It was the conclusion of several weeks of work. But we can definitely say I had some beginners luck.”
The new study observes 13 smaller satellite galaxies orbiting around Andromeda in a way similar to how the planets in our solar system orbit around the sun. The galaxies are orbiting on a thin, pancake-like plane at a scale 900 million times larger than our own solar system.
The 15-year-old is featured on the cover of science journal Nature and named as a co-author of the study, however, he says he is not sure about whether he will one day become an astrophysicist.
- 1Simplify MPs expenses to improve transparency, says campaigner
- 2Belgium gives everyone radiation protection pills
- 3Venezuela’s second city looted
- 4Berlin and Vienna pressure Rome to take responsibility for migrants
- 5A leading German politician says the country’s mosques should come under state control
Latest world news
Iraq: al Sadr supporters storm Green Zone and parliament
Drastic cuts in EU mobile roaming charges come into effect
Germany: hundreds arrested as anti-immigrant AfD congress starts
Rescue teams keep searching after deadly Kenya collapse
Ireland: Minority government deal breaks political deadlock
Wires > News
- 14:51 CET Air strikes pound Syrian city of Aleppo, death toll climbs
- 14:42 CET China, Japan more upbeat on ties but challenges remain
- 13:31 CET Cries heard as rescuers search rubble of Nairobi building, at…
- 12:53 CET Left-wing protesters clash with German police before right-wing…
- 12:44 CET Italy merchant ship rescues 26 migrants off Libya, others feared…
- 12:36 CET Russia defends intercept of U.S. reconnaissance plane over Baltic
- 12:23 CET Bomb attack on Shi’ite pilgrims in Baghdad kills at least 19 -…
- 12:16 CET Muslim prayer hall set on fire on French island of Corsica