05/01/13 17:45 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Fifteen year old Neil Ibata has made a scientific discovery that may change the way we understand the nearest ‘large’ galaxy to our own – Andromeda.
The school boy from Strasbourg was doing an internship at the city’s astronomical observatory,
where his father works, when he came across the findings with a new computer programme he had just learnt how to use.
Admitting he hadn’t spent a hundredth of the time using the programme as his father, he says: “We calculated the distance and speed of this galaxy, which allowed me to model it. It was the conclusion of several weeks of work. But we can definitely say I had some beginners luck.”
The new study observes 13 smaller satellite galaxies orbiting around Andromeda in a way similar to how the planets in our solar system orbit around the sun. The galaxies are orbiting on a thin, pancake-like plane at a scale 900 million times larger than our own solar system.
The 15-year-old is featured on the cover of science journal Nature and named as a co-author of the study, however, he says he is not sure about whether he will one day become an astrophysicist.
Latest world news
German weekend football dominated by AfD chief’s ‘racist’ Boateng comment
Germany: Storm leaves several dead including teenage girl and firefighter
Mexican footballer Alan Pulido freed after kidnap ordeal
Washington pays tribute to US military casualties at Memorial Day concert
Iraq army ‘begins assault’ on ISIL bastion of Falluja
Wires > News
- 12:11 CET Roadside bomb kills two police in southeast Turkey – security…
- 12:09 CET Philippine Congress proclaims Duterte winner of presidential…
- 11:56 CET China’s anti-graft agency investigates Jiangsu province deputy…
- 11:49 CET Turkish government says wants presidency bill in parliament soon
- 11:46 CET Turkey, Israel still discussing normalisation – Turkish deputy PM
- 11:44 CET Bahrain lengthens Shi’ite leader’s jail term to 9 years -…
- 11:42 CET Turkey’s Erdogan accuses Russia of arming PKK militants – newspaper
- 11:38 CET Poland’s Kaczynski says may challenge EU rule of law procedure in…