Spain’s King Juan Carlos has given a rare television interview, as he marks his 75th birthday.
In 2012, he had to apologise for going elephant hunting in Botswana, while the country was in financial turmoil.
His son-in-law has also been at the centre of a corruption inquiry.
But the King said he is fit and ready for the future.
“I am in good shape. I have the energy to move forward and to meet the challenges, to achieve greater consensus among Spanish people.”
The monarch spoke of the importance of unity, in the wake of independence campaigns in Catalonia.
“Those who hold extreme views lead us to separatist politics that are not good for us. At this time, it is better for Spain to be united, all of us together,” he said.
Juan Carlos also talked of how far Spain had come during his 37-year reign.
He won wide respect after the death of dictator Francisco Franco in 1975. But the recent scandals have tainted the royal family’s popularity.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 5Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 13Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 16Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 17Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Russia bans film adaptation of ‘Child 44’ | euronews, world news
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
Wires > News
- 23:05 CET Violence erupts after funeral of Baltimore man who died in police…
- 22:12 CET Gunman kills Bosnian policeman in apparent Islamist attack
- 21:47 CET Three car bombs kill 19 in Baghdad
- 20:39 CET Stage set for landmark U.S. Supreme Court gay marriage arguments
- 20:18 CET U.S., Japan unveil new defence guidelines for global Japanese role
- 20:13 CET Islamic State kills five journalists working for Libyan TV station…
- 20:01 CET Mexico’s ruling PRI leads field ahead of mid-term vote – poll
- 19:50 CET Japan’s Prime Minister Abe says ‘heart aches’ over WW II sex slaves