Spain’s King Juan Carlos has given a rare television interview, as he marks his 75th birthday.
In 2012, he had to apologise for going elephant hunting in Botswana, while the country was in financial turmoil.
His son-in-law has also been at the centre of a corruption inquiry.
But the King said he is fit and ready for the future.
“I am in good shape. I have the energy to move forward and to meet the challenges, to achieve greater consensus among Spanish people.”
The monarch spoke of the importance of unity, in the wake of independence campaigns in Catalonia.
“Those who hold extreme views lead us to separatist politics that are not good for us. At this time, it is better for Spain to be united, all of us together,” he said.
Juan Carlos also talked of how far Spain had come during his 37-year reign.
He won wide respect after the death of dictator Francisco Franco in 1975. But the recent scandals have tainted the royal family’s popularity.
- 1Failed breach attempt by migrants in Calais
- 2Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
- 3Funeral of Whitney Houston’s daughter overshadowed by family feud
- 4Suspected MH370 flaperon arrives for identification at BEA, Toulouse
- 5Turkey: two soldiers killed in suicide attack blamed on PKK
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Wires > News
- 23:09 CET Ethiopia hands lengthy prison terms to Muslim activists
- 23:05 CET In North Korean grassroots capitalism, ticks and grasshoppers skip
- 22:54 CET Libya investigates video of guards beating jailed Gaddafi son
- 21:50 CET Catalonia leader calls election framed as vote on independence
- 21:49 CET Burundian activist shot amid violence tied to contested…
- 21:35 CET Obama issues challenge on climate change with power plant rule
- 21:19 CET Special Report – U.S. State Department watered down human…
- 21:08 CET Italy arrests 11 in search for Sicilian mafia boss of bosses