American teenager Michaela Shiffrin won her second World Cup slalom of the season and her career on Friday after she won the prestigious floodlit classic in Zagreb.
The 17-year-old, who celebrated her maiden World Cup victory last month in Are Sweden, dominated both runs to win in two minutes and 1.73 and be crowned Snow Queen. She now tops the discipline standings 26 points clear of Slovakian Tina Maze.
Like in Are three weeks ago second place went to Sweden’s Frida Hansdotter. The 27-year-old was 1.19 seconds adrift for her fourth world cup podium placing – all of which have been a runners-up spot.
Canada’s slalom prodigy Erin Mielzynski rounded off the podium in third place. The 22-year-old from Brampton, Ontario finished 1.76 off the pace.
Overall World Cup leader Maze entered the race having finished on the podium in the last nine technical events she entered.
However her dream run came to an end in Croatia when she straddled a gate in the second run and was disqualified.
Despite losing the lead in the discipline standings Maze retains a whopping 452-point lead in the overall standings over Germany’s Maria Hoefl-Riesch.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Wires > Sport
- 23:55 CET McIlroy plans Saturday practice round at Whistling Straits
- 20:26 CET Mihajlovic sets top-three target for Milan
- 20:12 CET Hosszu retains 200 metres IM title as records tumble
- 19:29 CET Juventus’s new signing Khedira ruled out for two months
- 18:01 CET American Danielson suspended after positive test
- 17:33 CET Leicester sign Frenchmen Kante and Benalouane
- 16:58 CET West Ham’s Valencia out for up to 12 weeks
- 16:13 CET Rio water quality on agenda as IOC leaves for Brazil