American teenager Michaela Shiffrin won her second World Cup slalom of the season and her career on Friday after she won the prestigious floodlit classic in Zagreb.
The 17-year-old, who celebrated her maiden World Cup victory last month in Are Sweden, dominated both runs to win in two minutes and 1.73 and be crowned Snow Queen. She now tops the discipline standings 26 points clear of Slovakian Tina Maze.
Like in Are three weeks ago second place went to Sweden’s Frida Hansdotter. The 27-year-old was 1.19 seconds adrift for her fourth world cup podium placing – all of which have been a runners-up spot.
Canada’s slalom prodigy Erin Mielzynski rounded off the podium in third place. The 22-year-old from Brampton, Ontario finished 1.76 off the pace.
Overall World Cup leader Maze entered the race having finished on the podium in the last nine technical events she entered.
However her dream run came to an end in Croatia when she straddled a gate in the second run and was disqualified.
Despite losing the lead in the discipline standings Maze retains a whopping 452-point lead in the overall standings over Germany’s Maria Hoefl-Riesch.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Serbia and Albania await Uefa punishment over violence-marred Euro2016 qualifier
- 2Volvo Ocean Race: Fleet still together one week in
- 3FIFA begins 2018 World Cup stadium inspection
- 4AS Roma suffer humiliating defeat to Bayern in Champions League
- 5Heavyweights in action on final day of Judo Grand Prix Tashkent
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 16US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > Sport
- 13:59 CET Real have Ramos back for clasico but Bale sits it out
- 13:56 CET Suarez to return in clasico, says Barca coach
- 13:52 CET Walcott not yet ready for Arsenal return says Wenger
- 13:29 CET Nadal withdraws from Paris Masters
- 13:27 CET Williams guaranteed year-end number one ranking
- 12:48 CET Serbia get walkover v Albania, three points deducted
- 12:45 CET Ryder not ready for New Zealand return, says McCullum
- 12:37 CET Stellar Lamela produces goal of the season, word of the day