American teenager Michaela Shiffrin won her second World Cup slalom of the season and her career on Friday after she won the prestigious floodlit classic in Zagreb.
The 17-year-old, who celebrated her maiden World Cup victory last month in Are Sweden, dominated both runs to win in two minutes and 1.73 and be crowned Snow Queen. She now tops the discipline standings 26 points clear of Slovakian Tina Maze.
Like in Are three weeks ago second place went to Sweden’s Frida Hansdotter. The 27-year-old was 1.19 seconds adrift for her fourth world cup podium placing – all of which have been a runners-up spot.
Canada’s slalom prodigy Erin Mielzynski rounded off the podium in third place. The 22-year-old from Brampton, Ontario finished 1.76 off the pace.
Overall World Cup leader Maze entered the race having finished on the podium in the last nine technical events she entered.
However her dream run came to an end in Croatia when she straddled a gate in the second run and was disqualified.
Despite losing the lead in the discipline standings Maze retains a whopping 452-point lead in the overall standings over Germany’s Maria Hoefl-Riesch.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 8Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Battles rage for Donetsk airport despite Ukraine ceasefire | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 04:10 CET Analysis – Premier League defences aren’t what they used to be
- 02:41 CET Keane’s book ‘unnecessary’, says ex-United captain Robson
- 00:27 CET Dortmund crush Galatasaray to maintain 100 percent record
- 00:25 CET Rodgers unimpressed by Balotelli’s shirt swap
- 00:12 CET Roberto denies Juve as Olympiakos hold on for win
- 00:08 CET Ludogorets make history with 1-0 win over Basel
- 23:56 CET Defenders sparkle as Leverkusen beat Zenit
- 23:51 CET Arsenal steal points in late Anderlecht raid