American teenager Michaela Shiffrin won her second World Cup slalom of the season and her career on Friday after she won the prestigious floodlit classic in Zagreb.
The 17-year-old, who celebrated her maiden World Cup victory last month in Are Sweden, dominated both runs to win in two minutes and 1.73 and be crowned Snow Queen. She now tops the discipline standings 26 points clear of Slovakian Tina Maze.
Like in Are three weeks ago second place went to Sweden’s Frida Hansdotter. The 27-year-old was 1.19 seconds adrift for her fourth world cup podium placing – all of which have been a runners-up spot.
Canada’s slalom prodigy Erin Mielzynski rounded off the podium in third place. The 22-year-old from Brampton, Ontario finished 1.76 off the pace.
Overall World Cup leader Maze entered the race having finished on the podium in the last nine technical events she entered.
However her dream run came to an end in Croatia when she straddled a gate in the second run and was disqualified.
Despite losing the lead in the discipline standings Maze retains a whopping 452-point lead in the overall standings over Germany’s Maria Hoefl-Riesch.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 5Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 6McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 7Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 8NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 9Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 10Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 11Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 16Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 17Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 18Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 04:59 CET Australia call up uncapped Burns for Boxing Day test
- 02:09 CET A defeat is never dignified, says San Lorenzo coach
- 01:25 CET Real Madrid beat San Lorenzo to lift Club World Cup
- 22:56 CET Barca well-placed and with room for improvement, says coach
- 21:48 CET Former bricklayer Austin is QPR’s hat-trick hero
- 19:13 CET PSG miss out on top spot after Montpellier draw
- 18:28 CET Disastrous Dortmund end year with loss at Bremen
- 18:23 CET Dominguez to coach Toulon, Nonu to join after World Cup