The German Chancellor Angela Merkel faces a tough election year in 2013. In a rehearsal for the federal vote in September, the campaign has begun for a state election in Lower Saxony in two weeks’ time.
Nationally, Merkel’s Christian Democrats are sitting comfortably on around 40 per cent in the polls, although their coalition partners the Free Democrats are in the doldrums.
The Chancellor said she wanted the coalition to continue, although each party fought its own battles first.
“The CDU in Lower Saxony – I see the same on a Federal level – said their work was successful and we want that to go on. I’m certain that in the next two weeks we will get that message over. As for the polls – while recognising that polls don’t decide elections but votes do – you can see I’m very optimistic we’ll be successful,” she told supporters in Wilhelmshaven.
Merkel’s rival, the Social Democrat candidate for chancellor and former German finance minister Peer Steinbrueck has his sights firmly set on September’s federal election.
He told a rally in Emden that in recent years his CDU opponents had lost many states:
“We want to continue this development in Lower Saxony on January 20th, that could be an excellent starting point for the general election in September this year.”
Steinbrueck is likely to attack Merkel’s handling of the crisis. But the Chancellor’s popularity could be a hindrance.
In her New Year message, Merkel warned the economic climate would become even more difficult.
- 1Greek Prime Minister Tsipras confirms referendum, calls for Greeks to reject creditors’ proposal
- 2Time runs out: Greece misses 1.6 billion-euro IMF repayment
- 3Greece’s eurozone future in balance as bailout expires
- 4Debt “dithering” sparks online bid to raise €1.6 billion to help Greece
- 5Tsipras keeping promise, one refusal at a time
- 1Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 2Eurogroup ministers to discuss new Greece aid proposal
- 3Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 4The end of the road for Uber? Executives detained by French police
- 5Miss Universe turns ugly for Trump as US TV network cut ties with presidential candidate
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 7Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 8Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 9Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 10Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
Wires > News
- 18:45 CET IAEA chief heads to Iran as nuclear talks reach last stretch
- 18:23 CET Islamic State attack in Egypt’s North Sinai kills 70
- 18:16 CET Analysis – Talk of Syria action may be Erdogan’s latest gambit to…
- 17:35 CET Bookkeeper of Auschwitz says he can only ask God for forgiveness
- 17:18 CET Pakistani raid killed senior al Qaeda figure, official says
- 17:09 CET Mass killer Breivik accuses Norway of violating his human rights
- 17:08 CET After Hungary’s fence plan, Serbia says to step up migrant controls
- 16:57 CET Special Report – How Greece went bust