The German Chancellor Angela Merkel faces a tough election year in 2013. In a rehearsal for the federal vote in September, the campaign has begun for a state election in Lower Saxony in two weeks’ time.
Nationally, Merkel’s Christian Democrats are sitting comfortably on around 40 per cent in the polls, although their coalition partners the Free Democrats are in the doldrums.
The Chancellor said she wanted the coalition to continue, although each party fought its own battles first.
“The CDU in Lower Saxony – I see the same on a Federal level – said their work was successful and we want that to go on. I’m certain that in the next two weeks we will get that message over. As for the polls – while recognising that polls don’t decide elections but votes do – you can see I’m very optimistic we’ll be successful,” she told supporters in Wilhelmshaven.
Merkel’s rival, the Social Democrat candidate for chancellor and former German finance minister Peer Steinbrueck has his sights firmly set on September’s federal election.
He told a rally in Emden that in recent years his CDU opponents had lost many states:
“We want to continue this development in Lower Saxony on January 20th, that could be an excellent starting point for the general election in September this year.”
Steinbrueck is likely to attack Merkel’s handling of the crisis. But the Chancellor’s popularity could be a hindrance.
In her New Year message, Merkel warned the economic climate would become even more difficult.
- 1Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 3France: Student held over ‘church attack plot’
- 4Russia’s Lavrov calls EU charges against Gazprom ‘unacceptable’
- 5Turkey insists it has nothing to hide on 100-year-old Armenian tragedy
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Spain arrests murder suspect on Britain’s most-wanted list
- 5Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 11Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 12Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 13ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15International news | euronews, latest international news
- 16Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
Wires > News
- 01:01 CET Israeli forces shoot and kill Palestinian armed with knives
- 00:36 CET U.N. chief urges Myanmar to address Muslims’ status ahead of vote
- 23:46 CET U.S. pro-Israel lobby opposes push to toughen Iran nuclear bill
- 23:13 CET No decision yet on Mistral, France’s Hollande says
- 22:42 CET Pakistani human rights activist shot dead in Karachi
- 22:39 CET Colombia’s FARC rebels say peace deal cannot be rushed
- 22:30 CET Statue of Liberty deemed safe after bomb threat – media reports
- 21:35 CET Obama vows ‘we’re going to review what happened’ in hostage death…