05/01/13 14:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Madrid grinds to a halt for a second day as the city’s public transport workers continue their industrial action.
Cuts in salaries, despite ticket price hikes, and the scrapping of the traditional Christmas bonus led to the strike.
One metro user said he understands why the workers have downed tools:
“I expect it will be difficult to get around, I am ready for it, but it is necessary for the workers to make their demands. So I understand and I will wait.”
Its a big weekend in Spain as the country celebrates the festival of the Three Kings and many of the citiy’s major roads are closed.
The strike will hit revellers hard as tens of thousands head for the city centre for the festivities, which includes a major parade.
Spain’s regions are under severe financial pressure and Madrid’s Regional President Ignacio Gonzalez says cuts and sell-offs are the only way to keep the economy afloat in times of deep recession.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Latest world news
Forensic teams identify victims of Ataturk airport attack as relatives mourn
Black box confirms smoke on board doomed EgyptAir flight
Russia extends ban on Western food products
Atatürk Airport attack – why did it happen?
Nicola Sturgeon gets ‘sympathetic’ reception in Brussels over Brexit
Wires > News
- 23:21 CET Brazil Senate planning impeachment vote for last days of Olympics
- 23:10 CET Urging tougher stance, U.N. adds 2,500 peacekeepers to Mali
- 23:07 CET North American leaders vow to boost trade despite threats
- 21:56 CET Obama urges Venezuela to respect democratic process
- 21:30 CET Groups urge U.N. to suspend Saudi Arabia from rights council
- 21:18 CET CIA’s Brennan says expects that IS is plotting attacks against U.S.
- 20:57 CET Switzerland and EU need to find compromise on immigration – EU’s…
- 20:32 CET Italy votes to halt aviation supplies to Egypt over student death