05/01/13 15:56 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The son of Italian designer Ottavio Missoni is one of six people missing after a small plane disappeared from Venezuelan radars.
Fifty-eight year old Vittorio Missoni, director of the fashion house his father founded in 1953, has been missing since Friday.
The plane was also carrying his wife, two Italian friends and two Venezuelan pilots when it lost contact over the Los Roques archipelago.
Italian foreign ministry officials say they were working with Venezuelan authorities to conduct both air and sea searches for the plane.
Missoni, his wife and friends had been returning from a Christmas and New Year holiday at Los Roques.
The string of islands is popular for scuba diving, white beaches and coral reefs.
Five years ago to the day, January 4 2008, an aircraft carrying eight Italians went missing in the same area as Missoni’s plane. The wreck was never located and only the body of the co-pilot was recovered.
Wires > News
- 01:42 CET Ohio zoo defends safety where boy climbed barrier and gorilla died
- 01:18 CET Rio de Janeiro police arrest two men in gang-rape case
- 00:57 CET Brazil anti-corruption minister quits over leaked recording…
- 00:35 CET Hitler’s older brother was in fact younger and died early…
- 23:51 CET Heavy air strikes on Syria’s Idlib kill and injure dozens – monitor
- 23:23 CET Netanyahu says willing to discuss Arab initiative for peace with…
- 23:10 CET Six killed, many injured, by roadside bombs in southeast Turkey
- 22:53 CET EU chief Tusk slams utopian ‘illusions’ of united Europe