05/01/13 15:56 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The son of Italian designer Ottavio Missoni is one of six people missing after a small plane disappeared from Venezuelan radars.
Fifty-eight year old Vittorio Missoni, director of the fashion house his father founded in 1953, has been missing since Friday.
The plane was also carrying his wife, two Italian friends and two Venezuelan pilots when it lost contact over the Los Roques archipelago.
Italian foreign ministry officials say they were working with Venezuelan authorities to conduct both air and sea searches for the plane.
Missoni, his wife and friends had been returning from a Christmas and New Year holiday at Los Roques.
The string of islands is popular for scuba diving, white beaches and coral reefs.
Five years ago to the day, January 4 2008, an aircraft carrying eight Italians went missing in the same area as Missoni’s plane. The wreck was never located and only the body of the co-pilot was recovered.
- 1Slovakia attacks EU post-Brexit direction on eve of taking over presidency
- 2Istanbul attack: suspects thought to come from former USSR
- 3Putin rejects new arms race and builds bridges with Turkey
- 4Austria: Constitutional Court rules fresh presidential run-off vote must be held
- 5Critics round on Boris Johnson after Gove wields Brexit knife
Latest world news
British, US and European bond yields tumble on the prospect of lower interest rates
The National Liberation Army fails to follow in the footsteps of FARC rebels and lay down arms
The UK needs a Brexit prime minister – Gove
Austria: Constitutional Court rules fresh presidential run-off vote must be held
Firefighting plane lost in Russia
Wires > News
- 16:59 CET Rome shows off cleaned up Colosseum
- 16:51 CET Israel to cut Palestinian tax transfers after West Bank killing
- 16:45 CET Several killed in accidental blast at Hungarian firing range -…
- 16:41 CET Austrian far right gets second chance at presidency with vote…
- 16:14 CET Hungary’s migrant referendum shows Europe’s post-Brexit challenge
- 16:07 CET Israel should stop settlements, denying Palestinian development -…
- 15:53 CET Four ministers resign from Libya’s U.N.-backed government -…
- 15:37 CET Croatia receives first group of migrants under EU quota