The son of Italian designer Ottavio Missoni is one of six people missing after a small plane disappeared from Venezuelan radars.
Fifty-eight year old Vittorio Missoni, director of the fashion house his father founded in 1953, has been missing since Friday.
The plane was also carrying his wife, two Italian friends and two Venezuelan pilots when it lost contact over the Los Roques archipelago.
Italian foreign ministry officials say they were working with Venezuelan authorities to conduct both air and sea searches for the plane.
Missoni, his wife and friends had been returning from a Christmas and New Year holiday at Los Roques.
The string of islands is popular for scuba diving, white beaches and coral reefs.
Five years ago to the day, January 4 2008, an aircraft carrying eight Italians went missing in the same area as Missoni’s plane. The wreck was never located and only the body of the co-pilot was recovered.
Copyright © 2013 euronewsMore about:
- 16:57 CET Friend and foe, world leaders coming together for Mandela
- 16:51 CET Iran, six powers meet on steps to carry out nuclear deal
- 16:46 CET Merkel’s conservatives back coalition deal despite doubts
- 16:42 CET New Italian centre-left leader pledges support to government
- 16:17 CET Putin dissolves state news agency, tightens grip on Russia media
- 16:16 CET Protests a memory, Brazil opposition struggles to catch Rousseff
- 16:11 CET Syrian army retakes road needed to ship out chemical arms
- 15:51 CET Italian police fire tear gas as thousands stage ‘Pitchfork Protest’