05/01/13 15:56 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The son of Italian designer Ottavio Missoni is one of six people missing after a small plane disappeared from Venezuelan radars.
Fifty-eight year old Vittorio Missoni, director of the fashion house his father founded in 1953, has been missing since Friday.
The plane was also carrying his wife, two Italian friends and two Venezuelan pilots when it lost contact over the Los Roques archipelago.
Italian foreign ministry officials say they were working with Venezuelan authorities to conduct both air and sea searches for the plane.
Missoni, his wife and friends had been returning from a Christmas and New Year holiday at Los Roques.
The string of islands is popular for scuba diving, white beaches and coral reefs.
Five years ago to the day, January 4 2008, an aircraft carrying eight Italians went missing in the same area as Missoni’s plane. The wreck was never located and only the body of the co-pilot was recovered.
- 1Cuts in EU mobile roaming charges come into effect
- 2Belgium gives everyone radiation protection pills
- 3Hundreds arrested as German anti-immigrant AfD party congress begins
- 4Sweden celebrates 70th birthday of King Carl XVI Gustaf
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Wires > News
- 13:28 CET Russia – talks taking place on including Aleppo in Syria’s ‘regime…
- 12:43 CET Brussels airport departure hall reopens after deadly bombings
- 12:23 CET U.S.-led coalition drone kills two at Islamic State depot in…
- 12:05 CET Irish fin min likely to retain post in new government – source
- 12:02 CET Two car bombs kill at least eight in southern Iraq – police sources
- 11:47 CET EU set to drive forward visas for Turks in migrant deal
- 10:26 CET Yemen’s Houthis seize military base, endangering peace talks
- 09:17 CET Three Turkish soldiers killed, 14 others wounded in PKK attack in…