Argentine war veterans gathered in Buenos Aires on Thursday, to voice their support for an open letter which calls for talks over the Falkland Islands.
The document, sent by President Cristina Fernandez to British Prime Minister David Cameron, was published in UK newspapers.
“I reiterate our invitation for us to abide by the resolutions of the United Nations,” Fernandez writes, reasserting her country’s sovereignty claim.
The Falklands are known as the Malvinas in Argentina.
Ernesto Alonso, from the Centre of Veterans of the Malvinas Islands, said: “It is fundamentally necessary that Great Britain sits down and has a dialogue.”
Cameron rebuffed the demands, saying it was down to islanders to decide their future, not Argentina.
“Whenever they have been asked their opinion, they have said they want to maintain their current status with the United Kingdom,” he said.
“They are holding a referendum this year and I hope the president of Argentina will listen to that referendum and recognise it is for the Falkland islanders to choose their future.”
Britain and Argentina fought a 10-week war in 1982 over the remote South Atlantic islands.
The Falklands are part of Britain’s self-governing overseas territories.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 2Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 3Syria’s Assad expresses support to Putin on Ukraine
- 4Watch: Femen protesters held after topless protest in Crimea
- 5Ukraine as it happened: Moscow denies ultimatum, EU discusses “targeted sanctions”
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 08:31 CET Erdogan says Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- 07:17 CET Violence against women ‘pandemic’ in Mexico
- 07:09 CET China warns prominent Internet users over Kunming attack
- 04:44 CET Senior North Korean official reappears, belies reports of another…
- 00:51 CET U.S. freedom of navigation operations in 2013 targeted China, Iran
- 22:27 CET Congo warlord verdict a test for flagging international court
- 22:13 CET China’s “land kings” under threat as tightening takes a toll
- 21:40 CET Caribbean nations consider push for slavery reparations