Argentine war veterans gathered in Buenos Aires on Thursday, to voice their support for an open letter which calls for talks over the Falkland Islands.
The document, sent by President Cristina Fernandez to British Prime Minister David Cameron, was published in UK newspapers.
“I reiterate our invitation for us to abide by the resolutions of the United Nations,” Fernandez writes, reasserting her country’s sovereignty claim.
The Falklands are known as the Malvinas in Argentina.
Ernesto Alonso, from the Centre of Veterans of the Malvinas Islands, said: “It is fundamentally necessary that Great Britain sits down and has a dialogue.”
Cameron rebuffed the demands, saying it was down to islanders to decide their future, not Argentina.
“Whenever they have been asked their opinion, they have said they want to maintain their current status with the United Kingdom,” he said.
“They are holding a referendum this year and I hope the president of Argentina will listen to that referendum and recognise it is for the Falkland islanders to choose their future.”
Britain and Argentina fought a 10-week war in 1982 over the remote South Atlantic islands.
The Falklands are part of Britain’s self-governing overseas territories.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner
- David Cameron
- Diplomatic tension
- Falkland Islands
- United Kingdom
- 1‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 2Who is the EU’s worst at spending Brussels’ billions?
- 3ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 4New laws to ‘wipe out’ militants after Pakistan school massacre
- 5New Romanian President Klaus Iohannis vows to tackle corruption
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 3‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 4Australia: two hostages and gunman dead after police storm Sydney siege café
- 5Putin answers press questions on Ukraine, NATO and the Russian economy
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 3Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 4Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 5McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 8Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 9Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 10Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 13Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 14Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 15Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 18Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 19Catalonia announces new ‘independence plan’ | euronews, world news
- 20Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 08:22 CET South Korea nuclear plant operator says hacked, but no risk to…
- 08:07 CET Man stages new protest on ledge of St. Peter’s in Vatican
- 07:38 CET China issues property registration rules to aid anti-graft drive
- 07:04 CET British tsunami brothers use funky footwear to help children – TRFN
- 06:55 CET Court orders partner of Sydney hostage-taker jailed
- 05:22 CET Senior Chinese leader to visit Vietnam amid sea tension
- 05:07 CET China foreign minister says willing to help Russia
- 03:47 CET China tells U.S. opposes all forms of cyber attacks, ‘terrorism’