If good things come to those who wait, then Barack Obama and Joe Biden must be rubbing their hands in delight.
The US Congress has finally confirmed them as winners of last year’s presidential election.
At a joint session of the Senate and House of
Representatives, lawmakers carried out the final phase of a process known as the Electoral College that dates back to the founding of the nation.
Electors were picked on Election Day, based on the popular vote.
In approving and then adding up individual certification documents, they confirmed that Democrats Obama and Biden beat
Republican challengers Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan, 332-206. At least 270 electoral votes are needed to win.
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Latest world news
Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar ‘is dead’, officials claim
Malik Ishaq: Pakistan Sunni militant chief dies in shootout
Cecil the Lion: two Zimbabweans face court for luring him from protected area
Channel Tunnel: one dies, COBRA meets in London
Syria: counting the humanitarian cost
Wires > News
- 13:05 CET Two Israelis charged in arson attack on Church of Loaves and Fishes
- 12:56 CET Niger strips opposition parliamentary leader of immunity
- 12:54 CET Afghan government investigating reports Mullah Omar is dead -…
- 12:42 CET Romania seizes record heroin haul after four-year hunt
- 12:37 CET Malaysian probe into fund scandal stalls after PM sacks deputy
- 12:20 CET Zimbabwean men in court over killing of Cecil the lion
- 12:18 CET Bahrain sees ‘foreign’ link in attack, Iran denies role
- 12:17 CET Japan shouldn’t cave to foreign pressure on PM war anniversary…