If good things come to those who wait, then Barack Obama and Joe Biden must be rubbing their hands in delight.
The US Congress has finally confirmed them as winners of last year’s presidential election.
At a joint session of the Senate and House of
Representatives, lawmakers carried out the final phase of a process known as the Electoral College that dates back to the founding of the nation.
Electors were picked on Election Day, based on the popular vote.
In approving and then adding up individual certification documents, they confirmed that Democrats Obama and Biden beat
Republican challengers Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan, 332-206. At least 270 electoral votes are needed to win.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > News
- 21:00 CET Lebanon army fights gunmen in Tripoli, six soldiers killed
- 20:59 CET Police seek motive in fatal Washington state school shooting
- 20:31 CET Iran re-arrests leading human rights lawyer Nasrin Sotoudeh
- 19:48 CET Brazil’s election too close to call on eve of runoff
- 19:09 CET U.S. recognises gay marriages in six more states
- 18:25 CET Blast injures three U.N. peacekeepers in northern Mali
- 17:22 CET On eve of poll, Ukraine leader seeks support for pro-Europe course
- 17:16 CET Canada’s Parliament Hill reopens following Wednesday shooting