Bus and underground workers have started a two-day strike in Madrid that will affect Spain’s biggest weekend of the Christmas season.
They are angry at cuts made to the public transport sector as part of the government’s austerity drive.
Some services were still running, but for many commuters the action brought delays and a Christmas crush.
Staff are particularly aggrieved about the withdrawal of extra pay they used to receive at the end of the year.
Passenger Margarita Berseca said: “There have to be protests, and unfortunately its working people who are paying the price. But of course we have to protest.”
Management want 80 per cent of services to run on Saturday, when crowds will want to watch the traditional Three Kings parade.
Unions say they can not guarantee that that many staff will turn up for work.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane missing with 116 people on board
- 3‘Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Yatsenyuk
- 4Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 5Sudanese mother sentenced to death in Sudan meets the Pope in Rome
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 02:12 CET Wreckage of Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people found in Mali
- 01:02 CET Iran detains four journalists, three of them Iranian-American…
- 00:54 CET Sudanese Salafi group endorses Islamic State’s new caliphate
- 00:23 CET At least 15 killed by shelling of Gaza school; toll exceeds 760
- 00:19 CET Rival Libyan militias clash in Tripoli, Benghazi
- 23:41 CET Mali, northern rebels agree on ‘roadmap’ for peace talks
- 23:28 CET EU targets state-owned Russia banks in sanctions plan
- 23:12 CET Peres steps down as Israeli president, sees peace ‘one day’