Italian prime minister Mario Monti has unveiled the alliance he will lead for next month’s parliamentary elections.
After announcing that he would bid for a second term, the 69-year-old said the grouping will be called “With Monti for Italy.”
Monti said he would lead a single alliance in the upper house, while three separate blocs would run as a coalition with him as their leader in the lower house.
The different groupings would maximise the alliance’s political power.
One poll shows that Monti’s grouping is likely to attract just over 12 per cent of the vote.
That compares to 40 per cent for his rivals on the left, the Democratic Party and its coalition ally Left Ecology Freedom – and 25 per cent for the most likely centre-right coalition of Silvio Berlusconi’s People of Freedom and the Northern League.
Surveys show up to half of the electorate plan to abstain or are undecided.
Monti replaced Berlusconi as prime minister in November 2011, when Italy was scrambling to avert a financial crisis.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 16Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 17Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 18Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 19Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
- 20Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 15:48 CET Sri Lanka’s Rajapaksa wins 2015 budget vote despite defections
- 15:45 CET Death toll in southern Morocco floods rises to 32
- 15:43 CET Spain arrests three priests, layman in Granada sexual abuse ring
- 15:32 CET Hagel resigns as U.S. Defense secretary, official says
- 15:29 CET War-weary Darfuris see grim future with or without …
- 15:22 CET Germany orders some poultry kept inside to protect against bird flu
- 15:03 CET Russia to toughen rules on meat transit from Belarus
- 13:56 CET China corruption watchdog launches inspections, eyes Sinopec