04/01/13 23:15 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Italian prime minister Mario Monti has unveiled the alliance he will lead for next month’s parliamentary elections.
After announcing that he would bid for a second term, the 69-year-old said the grouping will be called “With Monti for Italy.”
Monti said he would lead a single alliance in the upper house, while three separate blocs would run as a coalition with him as their leader in the lower house.
The different groupings would maximise the alliance’s political power.
One poll shows that Monti’s grouping is likely to attract just over 12 per cent of the vote.
That compares to 40 per cent for his rivals on the left, the Democratic Party and its coalition ally Left Ecology Freedom – and 25 per cent for the most likely centre-right coalition of Silvio Berlusconi’s People of Freedom and the Northern League.
Surveys show up to half of the electorate plan to abstain or are undecided.
Monti replaced Berlusconi as prime minister in November 2011, when Italy was scrambling to avert a financial crisis.
- 1The strategic map of the the offensive against ISIL
- 2Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 3Germany: Pegida objects to Kinder using images of non-white children on its chocolate wrappers
- 4Russia-Hungary meeting ahead of EU sanctions decision
- 5Overcrowded fishing boat capsizes off Italian coast, 500 migrants rescued
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
- 3EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Wires > News
- 01:23 CET Azerbaijan frees journalist whose case raised outcry in West
- 22:51 CET Guinean sailors arrested after clash with Sierra Leone navy
- 22:27 CET French, Italian firms to help search for EgyptAir black boxes
- 22:16 CET U.N. concerned by rising political tension in Congo ahead of vote
- 22:01 CET Obama administration officials warn lawmakers over Iran sanctions
- 21:38 CET Exclusive – EU launches contingency talks for Brexit vote: sources
- 21:28 CET U.S. says new Israeli coalition raises ‘legitimate questions’
- 21:13 CET Islamic State claims fatal stabbing of Bangladeshi Hindu -monitor…