Italian prime minister Mario Monti has unveiled the alliance he will lead for next month’s parliamentary elections.
After announcing that he would bid for a second term, the 69-year-old said the grouping will be called “With Monti for Italy.”
Monti said he would lead a single alliance in the upper house, while three separate blocs would run as a coalition with him as their leader in the lower house.
The different groupings would maximise the alliance’s political power.
One poll shows that Monti’s grouping is likely to attract just over 12 per cent of the vote.
That compares to 40 per cent for his rivals on the left, the Democratic Party and its coalition ally Left Ecology Freedom – and 25 per cent for the most likely centre-right coalition of Silvio Berlusconi’s People of Freedom and the Northern League.
Surveys show up to half of the electorate plan to abstain or are undecided.
Monti replaced Berlusconi as prime minister in November 2011, when Italy was scrambling to avert a financial crisis.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 3Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different?
- 4Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 5Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 13Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 16Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 17Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 18Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 19World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 19:54 CET Russians seethe over Western snub of war anniversary parade
- 19:49 CET Burundi tells foreign envoys to stay neutral over unrest
- 19:47 CET Saudi-led planes bomb Sanaa airport to stop Iranian plane landing
- 19:42 CET Drug convicts executed in Indonesia, Filipina not among them -…
- 19:36 CET More than 150 rescued from burning ferry off Spain
- 19:25 CET Baltimore mayor criticized for police response to rioting
- 19:06 CET U.S. says Iranian forces fire on and board cargo ship in Gulf
- 18:43 CET Missing British girl’s parents win damages from Portuguese…