Italian prime minister Mario Monti has unveiled the alliance he will lead for next month’s parliamentary elections.
After announcing that he would bid for a second term, the 69-year-old said the grouping will be called “With Monti for Italy.”
Monti said he would lead a single alliance in the upper house, while three separate blocs would run as a coalition with him as their leader in the lower house.
The different groupings would maximise the alliance’s political power.
One poll shows that Monti’s grouping is likely to attract just over 12 per cent of the vote.
That compares to 40 per cent for his rivals on the left, the Democratic Party and its coalition ally Left Ecology Freedom – and 25 per cent for the most likely centre-right coalition of Silvio Berlusconi’s People of Freedom and the Northern League.
Surveys show up to half of the electorate plan to abstain or are undecided.
Monti replaced Berlusconi as prime minister in November 2011, when Italy was scrambling to avert a financial crisis.
- 1Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 2Germanwings crash: Andreas Lubitz ‘received treatment for depression’
- 3German police remove items from flight 9525 co-pilot’s homes
- 4Author Scott Westerfeld captures dramatic footage after New York gas explosion
- 5Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 1Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 2Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 3Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 4French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately
- 5New reports claim Airbus crash voice recorder reveals pilot ‘was locked out of cockpit’
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 11French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 12Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 13Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 14Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 15Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 16eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 22:59 CET Yemen Houthi rebels advance despite Saudi-led air strikes
- 22:56 CET Italy’s top court acquits Amanda Knox of murder
- 22:48 CET Togo says to delay presidential election until April 25
- 22:45 CET Time for Iran to make tough decisions in nuclear talks – U.S.
- 22:24 CET Syrian army closes in on city near Lebanese border
- 22:22 CET Latvia says Russia’s military rhetoric is ‘alarming’
- 21:29 CET Saudi Arabia decides to restore ambassador to Sweden – Al Arabiya…
- 20:27 CET France presses at U.N. for Islamic State to face world court