Italian prime minister Mario Monti has unveiled the alliance he will lead for next month’s parliamentary elections.
After announcing that he would bid for a second term, the 69-year-old said the grouping will be called “With Monti for Italy.”
Monti said he would lead a single alliance in the upper house, while three separate blocs would run as a coalition with him as their leader in the lower house.
The different groupings would maximise the alliance’s political power.
One poll shows that Monti’s grouping is likely to attract just over 12 per cent of the vote.
That compares to 40 per cent for his rivals on the left, the Democratic Party and its coalition ally Left Ecology Freedom – and 25 per cent for the most likely centre-right coalition of Silvio Berlusconi’s People of Freedom and the Northern League.
Surveys show up to half of the electorate plan to abstain or are undecided.
Monti replaced Berlusconi as prime minister in November 2011, when Italy was scrambling to avert a financial crisis.
- 1Eastern Ukraine: separatists ‘will not push for independence,’ says spokesperson
- 2‘Rampant corruption:’ US orders arrest of senior FIFA executives
- 3Aleksandar Vucic becomes first Serbian leader to visit Albania
- 4Britain’s Queen outlines government priorities during state opening of parliament
- 5UEFA wants FIFA vote to be called off amid corruption turmoil
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
Wires > News
- 05:23 CET World football rocked by U.S., Swiss arrests of officials for graft
- 04:43 CET U.S. military mistakenly ships live anthrax to labs in nine states
- 04:37 CET Hundreds evacuated in Texas after storms leave at least 15 dead
- 04:33 CET Leader of al Qaeda Syria wing says aims to take Damascus – TV
- 04:01 CET Possible anthrax sample destroyed at U.S. Air Force base in South…
- 01:12 CET U.N. council urges end to impunity for attacks on journalists
- 01:08 CET Islamic State sympathizers may have made airline threats – …
- 23:26 CET Pentagon chief urges end to island-building in South China Sea