04/01/13 23:15 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Italian prime minister Mario Monti has unveiled the alliance he will lead for next month’s parliamentary elections.
After announcing that he would bid for a second term, the 69-year-old said the grouping will be called “With Monti for Italy.”
Monti said he would lead a single alliance in the upper house, while three separate blocs would run as a coalition with him as their leader in the lower house.
The different groupings would maximise the alliance’s political power.
One poll shows that Monti’s grouping is likely to attract just over 12 per cent of the vote.
That compares to 40 per cent for his rivals on the left, the Democratic Party and its coalition ally Left Ecology Freedom – and 25 per cent for the most likely centre-right coalition of Silvio Berlusconi’s People of Freedom and the Northern League.
Surveys show up to half of the electorate plan to abstain or are undecided.
Monti replaced Berlusconi as prime minister in November 2011, when Italy was scrambling to avert a financial crisis.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Latest world news
Boris backs out – Gove goes for it – May may have it as race for number 10 gets underway
Putin rejects new arms race and builds bridges with Turkey
UK: who are the Famous Five?
Brussels summit closes with questions on how the European Union will function in the future in the wake of Brexit
Istanbul attack: suspects ‘from Russia, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan’
Wires > News
- 19:19 CET U.N. rights council creates role of expert to protect LGBT people
- 19:17 CET U.N. peacekeeping mission leaves Liberia after 13 years
- 19:16 CET Fire in Kuwait villa kills nine people
- 19:15 CET Violence, settlements, Gaza undermine hope for Mideast peace – U.N.
- 19:11 CET Two of three German A400M planes grounded due to engine issues -…
- 18:56 CET PM’s right-hand man under fire as Slovakia takes on EU presidency
- 18:46 CET Canada confirms will give troops for eastern European NATO force
- 18:31 CET In Egypt, Sisi’s star fades as problems pile up