US authorities say 245 people have been arrested at home and abroad as part of an international crackdown on child pornography known as ‘Operation Sunflower’.
US Immigration and Customs Enforcement said 123 child victims were identified, some as young as two. Most were from the United States and around a third of those were rescued directly from their abusers. About a dozen of the victims were living in six countries outside the US.
“This operation is ultimately a tale of the perverse, pervasive and violent exploitation of children, very young children, to satisfy the dark pleasures of a group of twisted adults,” said ICE Director John Morton.
“The grim reality is that online child exploitation is a very real part of our modern lives and is going on throughout the world right now on a grand scale.”
Increased usage of the internet has allowed a much greater immediacy to pornography, Morton said, and in some cases child abuse is streamed live over the Internet.
Two adults have also been charged in Los Angeles with molesting a girl who appeared in online photos to be about 13 when she was abused. Their identities were not released.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
- 20Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 03:51 CET U.S. Army base in Texas on lockdown after suspicious vehicle found
- 01:17 CET Mexico summons Uruguay ambassador over president’s comments on…
- 01:05 CET Afghan women excluded from peace talks with Taliban – aid agency
- 00:01 CET Landmark Tunisian presidential election seen heading for run-off
- 23:20 CET Portugal ex-PM Socrates still in custody, more questioning on…
- 22:42 CET Multi-national crew blasts off for space station
- 22:32 CET France’s Hollande made left-wing voters feel betrayed – ex-partner
- 21:37 CET No easy ‘plan B’ for Iran if nuclear talks with major powers…