US authorities say 245 people have been arrested at home and abroad as part of an international crackdown on child pornography known as ‘Operation Sunflower’.
US Immigration and Customs Enforcement said 123 child victims were identified, some as young as two. Most were from the United States and around a third of those were rescued directly from their abusers. About a dozen of the victims were living in six countries outside the US.
“This operation is ultimately a tale of the perverse, pervasive and violent exploitation of children, very young children, to satisfy the dark pleasures of a group of twisted adults,” said ICE Director John Morton.
“The grim reality is that online child exploitation is a very real part of our modern lives and is going on throughout the world right now on a grand scale.”
Increased usage of the internet has allowed a much greater immediacy to pornography, Morton said, and in some cases child abuse is streamed live over the Internet.
Two adults have also been charged in Los Angeles with molesting a girl who appeared in online photos to be about 13 when she was abused. Their identities were not released.
Latest world news
Forensic teams identify victims of Ataturk airport attack as relatives mourn
Black box confirms smoke on board doomed EgyptAir flight
Russia extends ban on Western food products
Atatürk Airport attack – why did it happen?
Nicola Sturgeon gets ‘sympathetic’ reception in Brussels over Brexit
Wires > News
- 03:12 CET At Pacific Alliance summit, Chile warns against isolationism
- 02:26 CET U.S. says Russian ship raised false signal in incident
- 02:22 CET U.S.-led strikes pound Islamic State in Iraq, kill 250 fighters
- 01:42 CET North America leaders mount strong defence of trade despite threats
- 01:34 CET Japan plans July fighter jet tender seen worth $40 billion as…
- 01:03 CET Home-grown militants and ex-major behind Bangladesh attacks…
- 00:48 CET Brazil could dismiss Rousseff the day before Olympics ends
- 00:05 CET No fanfare as Philippines’ Duterte prepares to take office