US authorities say 245 people have been arrested at home and abroad as part of an international crackdown on child pornography known as ‘Operation Sunflower’.
US Immigration and Customs Enforcement said 123 child victims were identified, some as young as two. Most were from the United States and around a third of those were rescued directly from their abusers. About a dozen of the victims were living in six countries outside the US.
“This operation is ultimately a tale of the perverse, pervasive and violent exploitation of children, very young children, to satisfy the dark pleasures of a group of twisted adults,” said ICE Director John Morton.
“The grim reality is that online child exploitation is a very real part of our modern lives and is going on throughout the world right now on a grand scale.”
Increased usage of the internet has allowed a much greater immediacy to pornography, Morton said, and in some cases child abuse is streamed live over the Internet.
Two adults have also been charged in Los Angeles with molesting a girl who appeared in online photos to be about 13 when she was abused. Their identities were not released.
- 1Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 2Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 3Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 4Saakashvili warns of Odessa region’s importance to Ukraine
- 5Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 10Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 16Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 17Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 18Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
Wires > News
- 08:40 CET Italian police arrest Moroccan in anti-jihadism sweep
- 06:15 CET Rivals Pakistan, India to start process of joining China security…
- 05:47 CET Pope comes ‘home’ to South America to defend planet and the poor
- 05:37 CET Philippines confirms second MERS case
- 04:20 CET Heavy fighting as Iraqi forces try to surround Falluja
- 01:25 CET Two attacks in central Nigerian city of Jos – witnesses
- 23:03 CET Pope comes ‘home’ to South America to defend planet and the poor
- 20:38 CET Albanian police catch suspected killer of Czech tourists