US authorities say 245 people have been arrested at home and abroad as part of an international crackdown on child pornography known as ‘Operation Sunflower’.
US Immigration and Customs Enforcement said 123 child victims were identified, some as young as two. Most were from the United States and around a third of those were rescued directly from their abusers. About a dozen of the victims were living in six countries outside the US.
“This operation is ultimately a tale of the perverse, pervasive and violent exploitation of children, very young children, to satisfy the dark pleasures of a group of twisted adults,” said ICE Director John Morton.
“The grim reality is that online child exploitation is a very real part of our modern lives and is going on throughout the world right now on a grand scale.”
Increased usage of the internet has allowed a much greater immediacy to pornography, Morton said, and in some cases child abuse is streamed live over the Internet.
Two adults have also been charged in Los Angeles with molesting a girl who appeared in online photos to be about 13 when she was abused. Their identities were not released.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
Hungarian ‘Freedom Train’ stationary for a second day
Syria’s Assad may share power with ‘healthy’ opposition – Putin
Insecurity greets returning Afghan refugees after exile in Pakistan
Egyptian billionaire offers to buy Mediterranean island to house refugees
Bangkok’s Erawan Shine restored to public view after bomb blast
Wires > News
- 13:10 CET Ahead of Greek election, Syriza’s ‘lost generation’ deserts Tsipras
- 12:55 CET Head of U.N.‘s refugee agency to step down this year
- 11:49 CET Drowned Syrian toddlers and their mother buried in Kobani
- 11:36 CET Islamic State blows up tower tombs in Syria’s Palmyra -…
- 11:32 CET Turkey halts more migrant boats as toddler deaths fail to stop…
- 11:17 CET Migrants hold out on Hungarian ‘freedom train’; Orban says…
- 11:16 CET Russia says Syria’s Assad ready to share power
- 10:48 CET Thai probe hits hurdle; no bomb match to suspects’ DNA