Hundreds of thousands of Palestinians have been taking part in a rare rally staged by President Mahmoud Abbas’s Fatah group in Gaza.
The demonstration marks 48 years since the secular Fatah’s founding as the spearhead of the Palestinians’ fight against Israel.
But such a show of force was unimaginable six months ago. A long hiatus in peace talks with Israel has seen Fatah narrow its differences with its political rival Hamas, which has ruled the enclave since 2007.
Solidarity has also deepened since Israel’s Gaza assault in November after which, although severely battered, Hamas declared victory.
Addressing the crowd, Mahmoud Abbas said: “We are going to celebrate the revolution that started to bring about the victory. This final victory will certainly come, and, God willing, we’ll meet very soon in Gaza, glorious Gaza.”
The sight of such celebrations may boost Egyptian hopes of finally brokering a reconciliation between Hamas and Fatah. Previous efforts have collapsed over power-sharing and control of weaponry.
Cairo has said it is preparing to invite the factions for new negotiations within two weeks.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1International investigators reach MH17 crash site in Ukraine
- 2Ukrainian prime minister’s triumphant speech after resignation rejected
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fresh Israeli shelling hits UN school injuring scores of children
- 5Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 3Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
Wires > News
- 06:21 CET Gas blast in Taiwan kills 24, injures 271, topples buildings
- 05:15 CET Disappointment, uncertainty after India blocks WTO trade deal
- 02:42 CET Sudanese woman who had faced execution for conversion arrives in…
- 02:07 CET For wandering tankers with $300 million of Kurdish crude, end-game…
- 00:47 CET Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729
- 00:01 CET Iraqi Kurds, battling Islamist threat, press Washington for arms
- 23:11 CET Game of thrones- Afghan leadership vacuum raises summit questions
- 20:00 CET Ukraine premier stays on, envoys agree on crash site route