Hundreds of thousands of Palestinians have been taking part in a rare rally staged by President Mahmoud Abbas’s Fatah group in Gaza.
The demonstration marks 48 years since the secular Fatah’s founding as the spearhead of the Palestinians’ fight against Israel.
But such a show of force was unimaginable six months ago. A long hiatus in peace talks with Israel has seen Fatah narrow its differences with its political rival Hamas, which has ruled the enclave since 2007.
Solidarity has also deepened since Israel’s Gaza assault in November after which, although severely battered, Hamas declared victory.
Addressing the crowd, Mahmoud Abbas said: “We are going to celebrate the revolution that started to bring about the victory. This final victory will certainly come, and, God willing, we’ll meet very soon in Gaza, glorious Gaza.”
The sight of such celebrations may boost Egyptian hopes of finally brokering a reconciliation between Hamas and Fatah. Previous efforts have collapsed over power-sharing and control of weaponry.
Cairo has said it is preparing to invite the factions for new negotiations within two weeks.
- 1Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Kurdish-led militias launch offensive against ISIL-held Raqqa
- 4Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 5More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
- 3EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
Road collapse plunges parked cars into Florence underwater pipe
Ukraine preparing to swap Russian prisoners for pilot Nadiya Savchenko
Europe throws Greece a 10.3-billion-euro lifeline
Afghan Taliban names Haibatullah Akhunzada as its new chief
Violent clashes outside rally but Trump ever-confident of US election success
Wires > News
- 12:50 CET Polish minister says looking for solutions to constitutional row
- 12:44 CET Jailed Ukraine pilot heads home under prisoner swap with Russia -…
- 12:39 CET Slovakia nominates foreign minister Lajcak for …
- 12:36 CET Afghan Taliban appoint a new leader, Kabul urges peace
- 12:15 CET Swedish PM reshuffles cabinet, Green’s Lovin new deputy
- 12:15 CET Germany, France hold back NATO, EU ambitions in Libya
- 12:11 CET Iran-Saudi row threatens any OPEC deal, puts role in question
- 11:56 CET Swedish court upholds Assange arrest warrant