Hundreds of thousands of Palestinians have been taking part in a rare rally staged by President Mahmoud Abbas’s Fatah group in Gaza.
The demonstration marks 48 years since the secular Fatah’s founding as the spearhead of the Palestinians’ fight against Israel.
But such a show of force was unimaginable six months ago. A long hiatus in peace talks with Israel has seen Fatah narrow its differences with its political rival Hamas, which has ruled the enclave since 2007.
Solidarity has also deepened since Israel’s Gaza assault in November after which, although severely battered, Hamas declared victory.
Addressing the crowd, Mahmoud Abbas said: “We are going to celebrate the revolution that started to bring about the victory. This final victory will certainly come, and, God willing, we’ll meet very soon in Gaza, glorious Gaza.”
The sight of such celebrations may boost Egyptian hopes of finally brokering a reconciliation between Hamas and Fatah. Previous efforts have collapsed over power-sharing and control of weaponry.
Cairo has said it is preparing to invite the factions for new negotiations within two weeks.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1As it happened: Malaysia’s flight mystery remains as searches extended to Malacca Strait
- 2Ships and aircraft from ten countries continue search for missing Malaysia flight
- 3Flight MH370: possible mid-air disintegration, unconfirmed object ‘spotted’ in sea
- 4Missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘crashes off Vietnam’
- 5Turkey: Berkin Elvan, 15, hurt in Istanbul clashes, dies after months in coma
- 1Flight MH370: possible mid-air disintegration, unconfirmed object ‘spotted’ in sea
- 2As it happened: Malaysia’s flight mystery remains as searches extended to Malacca Strait
- 3Hijacking not ruled out as search for missing Malaysia Airlines jet enters third day
- 4Ships and aircraft from ten countries continue search for missing Malaysia flight
- 5Prayers for a miracle as the fate of missing Malaysia Airlines jet baffles the experts
- 1Missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘crashes off Vietnam’
- 2Flight MH370: possible mid-air disintegration, unconfirmed object ‘spotted’ in sea
- 3Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 4Malaysia Airlines plane missing, presumed crashed
- 5Hijacking not ruled out as search for missing Malaysia Airlines jet enters third day
Wires > News
- 17:41 CET NYC buildings collapse in explosion, two dead
- 17:15 CET Rocket barrage from Gaza hits Israel, no one hurt – police
- 16:43 CET Burundi seeks to arrest opposition leader after clashes
- 16:36 CET UN appeals to Russia, U.S. to salvage Syria peace talks
- 16:30 CET Cameron puts Iran on guard, sets out support for Israel
- 16:06 CET U.N. and Congolese troops attack Rwandan Hutu rebels
- 16:01 CET Analysis – Broken north undermines Keita’s pledge of strong…
- 15:36 CET Insight – How the separatists delivered Crimea to Moscow