04/01/13 22:06 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The former French screen goddess and animal rights campaigner Brigitte Bardot has threatened to seek a Russian passport in protest at the treatment of two sick circus elephants.
The animals, named Baby and Nepal, are thought to be carrying tuberculosis. A court in the southern French city of Lyon has now ruled they should be put down as a precautionary measure.
But Bardot issued a statement saying she would apply to become a Russian citizen if the order is carried out.
It seems a popular thing to do at the moment. Earlier this week President Vladimir Putin signed an order allowing French actor Gerard Depardieu to become a Russian national after he left France in protest over tax hikes proposed by the Socialist government which he has accused of penalising success.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 5‘Misleading at best and flat out wrong at worst’ US reacts to Greenpeace TTIP leak
Latest world news
Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
Reckitt Benckiser apologises over South Korea deadly disinfectant
US cruise ship docks in Havana over 40 years since the last sailed the Florida Straits
Wires > News
- 01:41 CET Brazil prosecutor asks for probe of opposition leader Neves
- 01:20 CET Emotional return as first U.S. cruise in decades reaches Cuba
- 00:30 CET Obama says Chinese-led trade deal shows need for TPP – Washington…
- 00:29 CET U.S. says Iraq’s PM in ‘strong position’ amid political unrest
- 00:24 CET NATO weighs four battalions in Eastern states to deter Russia -…
- 00:17 CET Argentine court probes ex-president Fernandez over new case – media
- 23:04 CET U.S. tells Pakistan it will have to fund F-16s itself
- 22:14 CET Leader of Canada’s separatist Parti Quebecois steps down