A meteorite that is billions of years old may provide the link between the warm, wet past and the cold, dry present on the planet Mars.
Discovered in Morocco in 2011 and known as NWA 7034 or ‘Black Beauty’, the meteorite is believed to be 2.1 billion years old.
Scientists have found 10 times more water in it than other meteorites from Mars.
“The age of NWA 7034 is important because it is significantly older than most other Martian meteorites,” said scientist Mitch Schulte with the Mars Exploration Program at NASA Headquarters in Washington.
“We now have insight into a piece of Mars’ history at a critical time in its evolution.”
The meteorite is an excellent match for surface rocks and outcrops NASA has studied remotely via Mars rovers and Mars-orbiting satellites.
“This Martian meteorite has everything in its composition that you’d want in order to further our understanding of the Red Planet,” said Carl Agee, leader of the analysis team and director and curator at the University of New Mexico’s Institute of Meteoritics in Albuquerque.
“This unique meteorite tells us what volcanism was like on Mars two billion years ago. It also gives us a glimpse of ancient surface and environmental conditions on Mars that no other meteorite has ever offered.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Israel: Hamas praises Jerusalem attack which killed baby girl
- 2Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 3Police search for possible suspects following attack on Canada’s parliament
- 4Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 5Intruder sparks lockdown at the White House
- 1Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 2Canada raises its terror threat following attack on soldiers
- 3Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 4Another battle for Ukraine as winter approaches amid gas row
- 5‘Criminal negligence’ blamed for death of Total boss Christophe de Margerie
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 12How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 15Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 16euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 18US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 19euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 16:06 CET Man arrested near Canada’s prime minister in sign of tensions
- 15:29 CET U.S., allies stage 15 air strikes on Islamic State in Iraq, Syria…
- 14:56 CET China vows better rule of law, but no word of disgraced security…
- 14:40 CET Exclusive – Charred tanks in Ukraine point to Russian involvement
- 14:35 CET U.N. rights watchdog calls for open elections in Hong Kong
- 14:02 CET Ukrainian PM warns Russia may try to disrupt Sunday’s election
- 13:55 CET Syrian Kurds sign power-sharing deal to draw more support
- 13:24 CET EU leaders seek climate deal, but divided over costs