A meteorite that is billions of years old may provide the link between the warm, wet past and the cold, dry present on the planet Mars.
Discovered in Morocco in 2011 and known as NWA 7034 or ‘Black Beauty’, the meteorite is believed to be 2.1 billion years old.
Scientists have found 10 times more water in it than other meteorites from Mars.
“The age of NWA 7034 is important because it is significantly older than most other Martian meteorites,” said scientist Mitch Schulte with the Mars Exploration Program at NASA Headquarters in Washington.
“We now have insight into a piece of Mars’ history at a critical time in its evolution.”
The meteorite is an excellent match for surface rocks and outcrops NASA has studied remotely via Mars rovers and Mars-orbiting satellites.
“This Martian meteorite has everything in its composition that you’d want in order to further our understanding of the Red Planet,” said Carl Agee, leader of the analysis team and director and curator at the University of New Mexico’s Institute of Meteoritics in Albuquerque.
“This unique meteorite tells us what volcanism was like on Mars two billion years ago. It also gives us a glimpse of ancient surface and environmental conditions on Mars that no other meteorite has ever offered.”
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 3Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different?
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 13Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 16eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 17Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
Wires > News
- 07:06 CET Japan’s Abe seeks to showcase close U.S. ties on landmark visit
- 06:22 CET South Korea court finds ferry captain guilty of homicide for 304…
- 06:21 CET Japan PM won’t attend Russian WW2 ceremony – government spokesman
- 05:28 CET Baltimore erupts in riots after funeral of man who died in police…
- 05:06 CET China probes doctor over $18 million bribes, 100 houses
- 02:50 CET Kerry says Iran, world powers closer than ever to historic nuclear…
- 00:06 CET Mali pro-government militias seize northern town amid clashes
- 22:12 CET Gunman kills Bosnian policeman in apparent Islamist attack