A meteorite that is billions of years old may provide the link between the warm, wet past and the cold, dry present on the planet Mars.
Discovered in Morocco in 2011 and known as NWA 7034 or ‘Black Beauty’, the meteorite is believed to be 2.1 billion years old.
Scientists have found 10 times more water in it than other meteorites from Mars.
“The age of NWA 7034 is important because it is significantly older than most other Martian meteorites,” said scientist Mitch Schulte with the Mars Exploration Program at NASA Headquarters in Washington.
“We now have insight into a piece of Mars’ history at a critical time in its evolution.”
The meteorite is an excellent match for surface rocks and outcrops NASA has studied remotely via Mars rovers and Mars-orbiting satellites.
“This Martian meteorite has everything in its composition that you’d want in order to further our understanding of the Red Planet,” said Carl Agee, leader of the analysis team and director and curator at the University of New Mexico’s Institute of Meteoritics in Albuquerque.
“This unique meteorite tells us what volcanism was like on Mars two billion years ago. It also gives us a glimpse of ancient surface and environmental conditions on Mars that no other meteorite has ever offered.”
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 10Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 19Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 20Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
Latest world news
‘Last chance’ meeting for Greece as euro zone creditors gather
Tsakalotos reveals notes but no new proposals at Eurogroup
Greek people worry about their savings and their country’s future
Al Shabaab kills quarry workers in Kenya gun attack
Migrant dies in Channel Tunnel after jumping on UK-bound train
Wires > News
- 19:29 CET Six powers and Iran to continue nuclear talks past deadline
- 19:22 CET Sierra Leone urged to ban FGM after backing women’s rights treaty
- 19:21 CET ‘Real risk’ of famine in Yemen as death toll passes 3,000
- 19:09 CET Israel says Islamic State’s Sinai assault aimed to help Hamas get…
- 18:40 CET Suspect in Charleston church shooting indicted on 9 murder counts
- 17:15 CET Bomb kills dozens in north Nigeria, gunmen open fire on crowd
- 17:13 CET Pakistan kills leader of anti-Shi’ite militants in southwest
- 17:10 CET U.S. only training 60 Syrian fighters, far below expectations