Officials on the Indian Ocean island of Reunion issued a code red warning as tropical storm Dumile made landfall.
Heavy rains and gusts of winds of up to 140 kilometres per hour continue to lash the French territory.
Both of the island’s airports have been closed and around 25,000 homes are without electricity after falling trees cut power lines.
Dumile was expected to become a full cyclone as it passed over the island.
Locals and tourists had been told to stock up on emergency supplies and remain indoors.
Lying west of Madagascar, Reunion has a population of around 800,000. The island is also visited by several hundred thousand tourists each year.
Its other neighbour, Mauritius, which lies about 200 kilometres northeast, is also watching Dumile’s progress.
- 1Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 2Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 3Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 4Saakashvili warns of Odessa region’s importance to Ukraine
- 5Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 10Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 16Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 17Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 18Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
Wires > News
- 08:40 CET Italian police arrest Moroccan in anti-jihadism sweep
- 06:15 CET Rivals Pakistan, India to start process of joining China security…
- 05:47 CET Pope comes ‘home’ to South America to defend planet and the poor
- 05:37 CET Philippines confirms second MERS case
- 04:20 CET Heavy fighting as Iraqi forces try to surround Falluja
- 01:25 CET Two attacks in central Nigerian city of Jos – witnesses
- 23:03 CET Pope comes ‘home’ to South America to defend planet and the poor
- 20:38 CET Albanian police catch suspected killer of Czech tourists