Officials on the Indian Ocean island of Reunion issued a code red warning as tropical storm Dumile made landfall.
Heavy rains and gusts of winds of up to 140 kilometres per hour continue to lash the French territory.
Both of the island’s airports have been closed and around 25,000 homes are without electricity after falling trees cut power lines.
Dumile was expected to become a full cyclone as it passed over the island.
Locals and tourists had been told to stock up on emergency supplies and remain indoors.
Lying west of Madagascar, Reunion has a population of around 800,000. The island is also visited by several hundred thousand tourists each year.
Its other neighbour, Mauritius, which lies about 200 kilometres northeast, is also watching Dumile’s progress.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 2Ukrainian army storms illegal checkpoints killing at least five
- 3MH370: bad weather halts search as ‘unidentified material’ found on Australian coast
- 4Turkish prime minister talks of ‘shared pain’ in statement on Armenian killings
- 5War of words grows more heated as Russia accuses the US of ‘running the show’ in Ukraine
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 5Dragon docks at International Space Station
Wires > News
- 19:58 CET Israel suspends peace talks after Palestinian unity bid
- 19:48 CET Costa Rican ‘miracle’ woman was key to John Paul’s sainthood
- 19:23 CET Three Americans killed in Kabul hospital attack
- 19:12 CET At least six killed as poll violence hits restive Indian regions
- 18:40 CET Netanyahu: Israel will never negotiate with Hamas-backed government
- 18:38 CET South Sudan to free prisoners as pressure mounts for peace deal
- 17:49 CET Egypt’s army says has ‘complete control’ over Sinai Peninsula
- 17:48 CET Israel suspends peace talks with Palestinians – Israeli official