Officials on the Indian Ocean island of Reunion issued a code red warning as tropical storm Dumile made landfall.
Heavy rains and gusts of winds of up to 140 kilometres per hour continue to lash the French territory.
Both of the island’s airports have been closed and around 25,000 homes are without electricity after falling trees cut power lines.
Dumile was expected to become a full cyclone as it passed over the island.
Locals and tourists had been told to stock up on emergency supplies and remain indoors.
Lying west of Madagascar, Reunion has a population of around 800,000. The island is also visited by several hundred thousand tourists each year.
Its other neighbour, Mauritius, which lies about 200 kilometres northeast, is also watching Dumile’s progress.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 17Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 18Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 19How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 20eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
Wires > News
- 05:33 CET Indonesian court delays appeal hearing of French death row convict
- 05:27 CET Vatican’s Australian-born budget chief cooperates with child abuse…
- 04:16 CET Taliban claim attack on Kabul guesthouse after overnight siege ends
- 03:34 CET Thousands of Kosovars mourn Albanian militants killed in Macedonia
- 03:04 CET Afghan insurgents launch late-night attack on Kabul guesthouse
- 01:23 CET Libyan prime minister says survives assassination attempt
- 23:42 CET Iran nuclear deal unlikely by June 30 – French envoy
- 22:59 CET China to extend military reach, build lighthouses in disputed…