The man that threw a bottle onto the track during the 100 metres final at the Olympic Games this summer appeared at Stratford Magistrates’ Court on Thursday.
The 34-year-old man named Ashley Gill-Webb went on trial for a public order offence.
The court heard that Gill-Webb began shouting insults at Usain Bolt just as the Olympic Stadium fell silent in anticipation of the blue riband event. After the starting pistol had fired he then threw a beer bottle onto the track.
Gill-Webb did not have a ticket to attend the final but had worked his way into an exclusive seating area, among members of the Dutch Olympic team.
He was quickly confronted by Dutch judo champion Edith Bosch and then restrained by stadium workers. Gill-Webb admitted to throwing the bottle but has pleaded not guilty to the charges.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 4Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 5McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 6Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 7Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 8Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 9NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 12Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 13Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 16European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 19Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 20Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 22:27 CET Hughes tragedy overshadows eventful year
- 22:08 CET U.S. swimmer Phelps sentenced to 18 months probation for drunken…
- 20:54 CET F1 showed its best and worst in 2014
- 20:43 CET ‘Celtic Tiger’ McIlroy emerges dominant in 2014
- 20:38 CET Billion dollar Sochi Games a sporting success
- 20:31 CET Five talking points for sports in 2014
- 20:29 CET Germany triumphant, Brazil eclipsed in dramatic year
- 20:25 CET Five best performances of 2014