The man that threw a bottle onto the track during the 100 metres final at the Olympic Games this summer appeared at Stratford Magistrates’ Court on Thursday.
The 34-year-old man named Ashley Gill-Webb went on trial for a public order offence.
The court heard that Gill-Webb began shouting insults at Usain Bolt just as the Olympic Stadium fell silent in anticipation of the blue riband event. After the starting pistol had fired he then threw a beer bottle onto the track.
Gill-Webb did not have a ticket to attend the final but had worked his way into an exclusive seating area, among members of the Dutch Olympic team.
He was quickly confronted by Dutch judo champion Edith Bosch and then restrained by stadium workers. Gill-Webb admitted to throwing the bottle but has pleaded not guilty to the charges.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 17Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 18Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 19How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 20eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
Wires > Sport
- 02:46 CET Napoli to hold news conference amid Benitez speculation
- 02:26 CET Bournemouth boss Howe wins League Managers’ award
- 23:15 CET More common sense needed, says Mercedes F1 boss
- 23:11 CET England hooker Hartley cited for headbutt
- 21:28 CET Hungary’s Hosszu denies taking performance-enhancing drugs
- 21:07 CET Bolt wins 200 metres, Powell takes 100 in rainy Ostrava
- 20:16 CET World Cup perfect at 32 teams, says CONCACAF chief Webb
- 19:46 CET Bale pledges to come back stronger for Real next season