The man that threw a bottle onto the track during the 100 metres final at the Olympic Games this summer appeared at Stratford Magistrates’ Court on Thursday.
The 34-year-old man named Ashley Gill-Webb went on trial for a public order offence.
The court heard that Gill-Webb began shouting insults at Usain Bolt just as the Olympic Stadium fell silent in anticipation of the blue riband event. After the starting pistol had fired he then threw a beer bottle onto the track.
Gill-Webb did not have a ticket to attend the final but had worked his way into an exclusive seating area, among members of the Dutch Olympic team.
He was quickly confronted by Dutch judo champion Edith Bosch and then restrained by stadium workers. Gill-Webb admitted to throwing the bottle but has pleaded not guilty to the charges.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > Sport
- 01:45 CET Hernandez signs up for Argentine Super Rugby franchise
- 01:17 CET Sizzling Day eyes fourth PGA Tour win in five starts
- 01:08 CET Wales team spirit and work ethic gets them past Cyprus
- 00:25 CET Robben misses out as Dutch face tough tie in Turkey
- 00:21 CET How green should a course be in times of drought?
- 00:11 CET Wawrinka powers to victory over Korean teenager
- 23:40 CET Italy need over an hour to break down defiant Malta
- 23:37 CET Israel cruise past Andorra to maintain Euro 2016 hopes