The man that threw a bottle onto the track during the 100 metres final at the Olympic Games this summer appeared at Stratford Magistrates’ Court on Thursday.
The 34-year-old man named Ashley Gill-Webb went on trial for a public order offence.
The court heard that Gill-Webb began shouting insults at Usain Bolt just as the Olympic Stadium fell silent in anticipation of the blue riband event. After the starting pistol had fired he then threw a beer bottle onto the track.
Gill-Webb did not have a ticket to attend the final but had worked his way into an exclusive seating area, among members of the Dutch Olympic team.
He was quickly confronted by Dutch judo champion Edith Bosch and then restrained by stadium workers. Gill-Webb admitted to throwing the bottle but has pleaded not guilty to the charges.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Wires > Sport
- 01:08 CET Beijing awarded 2022 Winter Olympics
- 00:40 CET Brazil midfielder Fred tests positive for banned substance
- 23:52 CET Wie drops out as Pettersen sets pace at windy Turnberry
- 23:31 CET Mets land Cuban slugger Cespedes at trade deadline
- 23:10 CET Argentine exec in FIFA case pleads not guilty to U.S. charges
- 19:40 CET West Ham forward Valencia sustains ‘significant’ injury
- 19:28 CET Lambert leaves Liverpool to join West Brom
- 18:17 CET Bell steers England to victory, hosts take 2-1 Ashes lead