Senior Pakistani militant leader Mullah Nazir has been killed in a U.S. drone strike. Intelligence sources say his deputy and eight others also died.
His death comes weeks after he was wounded in a bomb attack believed to have been launched by Taliban rivals.
It’s understood two missiles struck a house in Angoor Adda near the capital of Wana close to the Afghan border. The killings could raise tensions between Islamabad and Washington.
Analysts point out Mullah Nazir had formed close ties with the government and opposed the Pakistani Taliban. It’s understood he favoured attacking U.S forces in Afghanistan rather than Pakistani soldiers.
Drone attacks have killed many senior Taliban leaders. But the tactic has sparked protests. Opponents argue the strikes kill large numbers of civilians and foster support for militants. On Wednesday a judge rejected The New York Times bid to force the government to disclose more information about its tactic of targeted killing.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Students floated to safety from South Korea ferry
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3Israel warns of “long-lasting operation” in Gaza as at least five Israeli soldiers killed
- 4Palestinian children killed by missile strike while at play in Gaza
- 5Spread of Ebola virus sees parts of West Africa placed under quarantine
- 1Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 2Muslims around the world get set to celebrate the ending of Ramadan
- 3Japan teenager arrested for beheading classmate
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 347 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
Wires > News
- 10:22 CET U.S. judge signs order to seize Kurdish oil from tanker off Texas
- 10:19 CET Insight – Gold, diamonds feed Central African religious violence
- 09:30 CET Australia issues arrest warrants over Syria severed head photos
- 03:51 CET U.S. says Russia violated nuclear treaty, urges immediate talks
- 03:43 CET U.N. blacklists operator of North Korean ship seized in Panama
- 03:23 CET Australian PM Abbott’s tough stance on MH17 paying off – poll
- 02:04 CET Police arrest four in beating death of China grad student near USC
- 01:24 CET Nigeria isolates hospital in Lagos as Obama briefed on Ebola…