President Vladimir Putin has signed a decree granting Russian citizenship to legendary French actor Gerard Depardieu though it is unclear if the film star had made an official application.
Depardieu recently renounced his French citizenship ahead of plans by the socialist government to introduce a 75 percent tax rate on annual earnings over the million euro mark. Russia has a fixed income tax rate of 13 percent.
The actor has moved to the Belgian border town of Nechin. He is quoted has saying he could count on three countries to welcome him: Belgium, Montenegro and Russia.
The 64-year-old has a close relationship with controversial Chechen President Ramzan Kadyrov.
But the so called “super-tax” in France may not be introduced as the French Constitutional Council last week censured the measure. Gerard Depardieu has said the ruling would make “no difference” to him.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 16Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 17Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 18Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
- 19Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > News
- 01:09 CET Missouri governor urges calm ahead of grand jury decision on…
- 23:29 CET Putin strengthens ties with Georgia breakaway region; Tbilisi…
- 22:39 CET Hagel, under pressure, resigns as U.S. defence secretary
- 22:05 CET EU lawmakers trade insults, Juncker set to survive censure motion
- 21:04 CET Saudi Arabia says Islamic State ordered attack on Shi’ites in…
- 20:20 CET U.N. to miss December 1 Ebola target due to rising Sierra Leone…
- 20:19 CET Baghdad car bomb kills eight people, fighting west of capital
- 19:39 CET Suspected Boko Haram militants attack Nigerian border town