In the holy city of Karbala in Iraq, tens of thousands of Shiite Muslims pilgrims have celebrated the end of a 40-day period of mourning.
The religious festival of Arbaeen marks a pivotal event in Islamic history when the seventh century killing of Imam Hussein, the grandson of the Prophet Muhammad and one of the Shiite Islam’s most revered saints, is remembered.
Despite tight security a car bomb struck Shiite pilgrims on the way to the city killing two.
In the Iranian capital of Tehran millions converged to mark the day. Many in a show of grief beat their chests. They believe such rituals connect them to the suffering and death of Imam Hussein.
“Imam Hussein is our adoration, he is loved by the religion, by the Quran and by Islam. We should keep his memory and his blood alive. We Iranians love Imam Hussein,” explained one pilgrim.
The martyr had led a revolt against the Damascus-based Sunni caliph who sent an army to crush his small band of fighters at Karbala. The stories run deep in Shiites’ consciousness.
Hussein’s death cemented the split in Islam between Shiite and Sunni Muslims.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Students floated to safety from South Korea ferry
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3Palestinian children killed by missile strike while at play in Gaza
- 4Israel warns of “long-lasting operation” in Gaza as at least five Israeli soldiers killed
- 5UN says downing of MH17 over Ukraine may constitute a ‘war crime’
- 1Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 2Muslims around the world get set to celebrate the ending of Ramadan
- 3Japan teenager arrested for beheading classmate
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 347 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
Wires > News
- 03:51 CET U.S. says Russia violated nuclear treaty, urges immediate talks
- 03:43 CET U.N. blacklists operator of North Korean ship seized in Panama
- 03:23 CET Australian PM Abbott’s tough stance on MH17 paying off – poll
- 02:04 CET Police arrest four in beating death of China grad student near USC
- 01:24 CET Nigeria isolates hospital in Lagos as Obama briefed on Ebola…
- 00:59 CET Iraq lays claim to Kurdish crude cargo in Texas court
- 00:16 CET U.N. blacklists operator of North Korean ship seized in Panama
- 23:32 CET Honduras raids mayor’s homes, finds fancy trucks, peacocks