In the holy city of Karbala in Iraq, tens of thousands of Shiite Muslims pilgrims have celebrated the end of a 40-day period of mourning.
The religious festival of Arbaeen marks a pivotal event in Islamic history when the seventh century killing of Imam Hussein, the grandson of the Prophet Muhammad and one of the Shiite Islam’s most revered saints, is remembered.
Despite tight security a car bomb struck Shiite pilgrims on the way to the city killing two.
In the Iranian capital of Tehran millions converged to mark the day. Many in a show of grief beat their chests. They believe such rituals connect them to the suffering and death of Imam Hussein.
“Imam Hussein is our adoration, he is loved by the religion, by the Quran and by Islam. We should keep his memory and his blood alive. We Iranians love Imam Hussein,” explained one pilgrim.
The martyr had led a revolt against the Damascus-based Sunni caliph who sent an army to crush his small band of fighters at Karbala. The stories run deep in Shiites’ consciousness.
Hussein’s death cemented the split in Islam between Shiite and Sunni Muslims.
- 1‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 2Amanda Knox: ‘Joy’ as murder conviction overturned
- 3Doctor had excused co-pilot from work on day of tragic flight 9525
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note and ‘mystery illness’ raise more questions about co-pilot
- 5Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 08:27 CET Tunisian forces kill nine militants in south before solidarity…
- 07:30 CET Singaporeans bid final farewell to founding father Lee
- 06:50 CET Insight – Modi’s popularity in rural India punctured by…
- 04:29 CET Brazil minister Levy privately criticized Rousseff – report
- 01:03 CET Guinea president announces new emergency measures in Ebola fight
- 23:48 CET Irish governing parties see poll boost as Sinn Fein falters
- 23:42 CET Greek PM Tsipras says he seeks no rift with Europe
- 22:52 CET Libya tells Arab summit arms embargo must be lifted to fight IS