03/01/13 14:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
In the holy city of Karbala in Iraq, tens of thousands of Shiite Muslims pilgrims have celebrated the end of a 40-day period of mourning.
The religious festival of Arbaeen marks a pivotal event in Islamic history when the seventh century killing of Imam Hussein, the grandson of the Prophet Muhammad and one of the Shiite Islam’s most revered saints, is remembered.
Despite tight security a car bomb struck Shiite pilgrims on the way to the city killing two.
In the Iranian capital of Tehran millions converged to mark the day. Many in a show of grief beat their chests. They believe such rituals connect them to the suffering and death of Imam Hussein.
“Imam Hussein is our adoration, he is loved by the religion, by the Quran and by Islam. We should keep his memory and his blood alive. We Iranians love Imam Hussein,” explained one pilgrim.
The martyr had led a revolt against the Damascus-based Sunni caliph who sent an army to crush his small band of fighters at Karbala. The stories run deep in Shiites’ consciousness.
Hussein’s death cemented the split in Islam between Shiite and Sunni Muslims.
Latest world news
Iran election: ‘Victory’ for allies of reformist Rouhani
Trump jokes about protest in California
Air strikes and shelling cause more deaths in Aleppo
A leading German politician says the country’s mosques should come under state control
Will Michel Platini be back in charge for Euro 2016?
Wires > News
- 01:51 CET Oil rig helicopter crashes off Norway coast, 13 presumed dead
- 00:44 CET Six-storey building collapses as floods hit Kenyan capital, three…
- 00:10 CET Britain praises Cuba’s Castro for embracing realities of modernity
- 23:29 CET ‘Monstrous’ violence in Syria as government excludes Aleppo from…
- 23:12 CET Russian fighter did barrel roll over U.S. reconnaissance plane -…
- 21:30 CET China denies Hong Kong visit request by U.S. carrier group -…
- 21:14 CET Iran moderates eye more gains in run-off parliamentary election
- 20:14 CET Lavrov, Kerry discuss ways to strengthen Syria ceasefire – Russian…