The United Nations Human Rights Commissioner Navi Pillay has described as “truly shocking” the latest death toll from the Syrian conflict.
According to a study commissioned by the world body, more than 60,000 people have died since the uprising and civil war began in March 2011.
The latest amateur footage filmed over the past three days is said to show Syrian government fighter jets bombing several areas, including a suburb of the capital Damascus. It has been verified by an international news agency.
Separate unverified video purportedly shows two men being tortured and executed. Activists claim those responsible were Shabbiha fighters, a brutal militia thought to be working with the Syrian regime.
The pair were stabbed to death and then stoned with concrete blocks. It is not clear where or when the footage was filmed.
The UN compared reports from seven different sources including the Syrian government to come up with the new total, which they estimate has crossed the 60,000 mark since the end of November.
Officials say in each case, the victim’s first and last name, the date and location of their death were known.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane missing with 116 people on board
- 3Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 4‘Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Yatsenyuk
- 5Sudanese mother sentenced to death in Sudan meets the Pope in Rome
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 1[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 547 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
Wires > News
- 06:36 CET Over half of China military airfields threatened by high-rises
- 06:28 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland -…
- 06:00 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland -…
- 05:59 CET Impossible to determine cause of South Korea ferry businessman’s…
- 04:43 CET Venezuela protests arrest of ex-intelligence head wanted in U.S.
- 04:18 CET Wreckage of Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people found in Mali
- 03:34 CET Shelling of Gaza school kills at least 15; toll nears 800
- 03:24 CET Al Jazeera journalists jailed in Egypt say they will appeal