The United Nations Human Rights Commissioner Navi Pillay has described as “truly shocking” the latest death toll from the Syrian conflict.
According to a study commissioned by the world body, more than 60,000 people have died since the uprising and civil war began in March 2011.
The latest amateur footage filmed over the past three days is said to show Syrian government fighter jets bombing several areas, including a suburb of the capital Damascus. It has been verified by an international news agency.
Separate unverified video purportedly shows two men being tortured and executed. Activists claim those responsible were Shabbiha fighters, a brutal militia thought to be working with the Syrian regime.
The pair were stabbed to death and then stoned with concrete blocks. It is not clear where or when the footage was filmed.
The UN compared reports from seven different sources including the Syrian government to come up with the new total, which they estimate has crossed the 60,000 mark since the end of November.
Officials say in each case, the victim’s first and last name, the date and location of their death were known.
- 1Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 4Kurdish-led militias launch offensive against ISIL-held Raqqa
- 5More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
- 3EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
Mary Beard wins Princess of Asturias Award for Social Sciences
France: CGT union calls for further strikes
Road collapse plunges parked cars into Florence underwater pipe
Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko ‘has arrived in Kyiv’ in prisoner swap with Russia
Wires > News
- 16:36 CET Italy navy says migrant boat flipped, five dead
- 16:32 CET Insight – ‘Living in Germany’: a testing time for Merkel’s migrants
- 16:29 CET French, Italian firms to help search for EgyptAir black boxes
- 16:15 CET Japan PM protests against Okinawa incident at summit with Obama
- 16:01 CET Mugabe supporters rally in Zimbabwe amid tensions over succession
- 15:59 CET Trump, aiming to offset money disadvantage, escalates Clinton…
- 15:33 CET Israeli rights group accuses military of whitewashing soldiers‘…
- 15:15 CET Merkel says more time needed on EU-Turkey visa deal