The United Nations Human Rights Commissioner Navi Pillay has described as “truly shocking” the latest death toll from the Syrian conflict.
According to a study commissioned by the world body, more than 60,000 people have died since the uprising and civil war began in March 2011.
The latest amateur footage filmed over the past three days is said to show Syrian government fighter jets bombing several areas, including a suburb of the capital Damascus. It has been verified by an international news agency.
Separate unverified video purportedly shows two men being tortured and executed. Activists claim those responsible were Shabbiha fighters, a brutal militia thought to be working with the Syrian regime.
The pair were stabbed to death and then stoned with concrete blocks. It is not clear where or when the footage was filmed.
The UN compared reports from seven different sources including the Syrian government to come up with the new total, which they estimate has crossed the 60,000 mark since the end of November.
Officials say in each case, the victim’s first and last name, the date and location of their death were known.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
Syrian army announces 48-hour ‘regime of calm’ in Aleppo
Fires threaten to engulf Canadian city
Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
“Life was better then” – Serbs commemorate death of Marshal Tito
Wires > News
- 22:50 CET Turkish ruling party preparing to replace PM Davutoglu – officials
- 21:09 CET Merkel says working for U.S.-EU trade deal this year
- 21:06 CET ‘Three Amigos’ Obama, Trudeau, Pena Nieto to meet June 29
- 19:14 CET Russia arrests groups for planning attacks in Moscow region -…
- 18:55 CET U.S., allies to do more to combat Islamic State – Carter
- 18:52 CET ‘Nasty’ wildfire spurs evacuation of 88,000 in Canadian city
- 18:43 CET NATO approves Israeli representation to its headquarters
- 18:38 CET U.S. Navy SEAL killed in Iraq was part of ‘quick reaction force’