The United Nations Human Rights Commissioner Navi Pillay has described as “truly shocking” the latest death toll from the Syrian conflict.
According to a study commissioned by the world body, more than 60,000 people have died since the uprising and civil war began in March 2011.
The latest amateur footage filmed over the past three days is said to show Syrian government fighter jets bombing several areas, including a suburb of the capital Damascus. It has been verified by an international news agency.
Separate unverified video purportedly shows two men being tortured and executed. Activists claim those responsible were Shabbiha fighters, a brutal militia thought to be working with the Syrian regime.
The pair were stabbed to death and then stoned with concrete blocks. It is not clear where or when the footage was filmed.
The UN compared reports from seven different sources including the Syrian government to come up with the new total, which they estimate has crossed the 60,000 mark since the end of November.
Officials say in each case, the victim’s first and last name, the date and location of their death were known.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 63D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 7Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 8Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 9Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 10Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 11Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 12Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 13British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 14Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 15The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 16Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 17#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 18Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 19Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 20euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > News
- 13:47 CET Latvia heads to election under shadow of assertive Russia
- 13:44 CET Parcel containing bomb materials sent to Greek stock exchange
- 13:20 CET Blasts kill 15 people at Bulgaria explosives plant
- 12:39 CET Seven Libyan soldiers killed in Benghazi bombs and clashes – army…
- 12:23 CET Five dead in helicopter crash in France near Swiss border
- 12:20 CET Putin says sanctions will not stop Russia becoming economic power
- 12:10 CET Putin says Russia wants to move to national currencies in trade
- 11:53 CET Rapists confess as Kenyan cleric takes up equality struggle