The United Nations Human Rights Commissioner Navi Pillay has described as “truly shocking” the latest death toll from the Syrian conflict.
According to a study commissioned by the world body, more than 60,000 people have died since the uprising and civil war began in March 2011.
The latest amateur footage filmed over the past three days is said to show Syrian government fighter jets bombing several areas, including a suburb of the capital Damascus. It has been verified by an international news agency.
Separate unverified video purportedly shows two men being tortured and executed. Activists claim those responsible were Shabbiha fighters, a brutal militia thought to be working with the Syrian regime.
The pair were stabbed to death and then stoned with concrete blocks. It is not clear where or when the footage was filmed.
The UN compared reports from seven different sources including the Syrian government to come up with the new total, which they estimate has crossed the 60,000 mark since the end of November.
Officials say in each case, the victim’s first and last name, the date and location of their death were known.
- 1Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
- 2Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 3Hollande adds Italy to his coalition before heading to Moscow
- 4Media war Turkish and Russian press react to downed fighter
- 5Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 1Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 2Russia says second SU-24 crew member safe and back at base in Syria
- 3Turkey insists it seeks no fight with Russia on its Syrian border as Russia boosts air base defences
- 4Calls for calm as tensions rise over Turkish downing of Russian jet
- 5Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 13New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 16‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 17Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 18Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 20Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
Latest world news
Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
Flagmakers rush to meet demand as France prepares public show for Paris victims
Muslims in Russian Federation, under police pressure (some) enlist with ISIL
Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
South Africa lifts ban on domestic rhino horn trade
Wires > News
- 22:01 CET Turkey arrests two journalists on terrorism charges – CNN Turk
- 21:11 CET Germany to support military campaign against IS after French appeal
- 20:58 CET Belgium eases alert level but threat still ‘serious’
- 20:53 CET Khodorkovsky says Putin is leading Russia towards stagnation…
- 20:37 CET France says UK air force needed in Syria to raise pressure on…
- 20:05 CET Russia seeks economic revenge against Turkey over jet
- 19:44 CET Cameron says time to bomb militants in Syria
- 19:04 CET South Sudan food team finds risk of ‘widespread catastrophe’