In India, five men have been formally charged with the gang-rape, murder and criminal conspiracy of a 23-year-old university student.
The attack – which took place last month on a moving bus in the capital New Delhi – has caused outrage, sparking demands for tough new rape laws.
The victim, a medical student, and her male companion were then beaten with iron bars before being thrown out of the bus.
Police have said the accused have admitted to torturing and raping the student “to teach her a lesson”. She fought back and bit three of them, according to a police source, and the bite marks are part of the evidence against them.
After throwing her from the private bus, the driver tried to run the victim over but she was pulled away by her companion, a senior police official said.
The woman died last week from injuries sustained during the attack, which investigators say took place over nearly an hour.
Police filed charges at a New Delhi court, although the accused were not present. The court will examine the charges on Saturday, duty magistrate Surya Malik Grover said.
“Hang these monsters”
Prosecutors have said they would press for the death penalty for the murder. The father of the victim has said he backed the chorus of calls for those responsible to be executed. “The whole country is demanding that these monsters be hanged. I am with them,” he told reporters in his home village of Mandwara Kalan in Uttar Pradesh state.
Media reports suggest around 30 witnesses have been found and the police report into the case already runs to more than 1,000 pages.
The witnesses include the woman’s friend who survived the hour-long attack and a man who said he was robbed by the same gang prior to the rape.
There have been daily protests in several Indian cities since the attack. The latest was called by Delhi’s Chief Minister. She has responded to demands to bring women’s rights to the forefront of Indian politics, where sexual violence is widespread and little is done to prosecute offenders.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Spain arrests murder suspect on Britain’s most-wanted list
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 17:44 CET Devastating Nepal quake kills over 1,000, some in Everest avalanche
- 17:38 CET Indonesia informs death row convicts execution just days away
- 17:33 CET Exclusive – Brother says accused Tunisian was forced to captain…
- 16:54 CET Ghana oil tribunal story withdrawn
- 16:49 CET Dutch detain three in French-led horsemeat investigation
- 16:36 CET Islamist fighters seize Syria’s Jisr al-Shughour, army says…
- 16:20 CET Israeli forces kill knife-wielding Palestinian youth – police
- 16:16 CET Burundi ruling party nominates president for third term, risking…