In India, five men have been formally charged with the gang-rape, murder and criminal conspiracy of a 23-year-old university student.
The attack – which took place last month on a moving bus in the capital New Delhi – has caused outrage, sparking demands for tough new rape laws.
The victim, a medical student, and her male companion were then beaten with iron bars before being thrown out of the bus.
Police have said the accused have admitted to torturing and raping the student “to teach her a lesson”. She fought back and bit three of them, according to a police source, and the bite marks are part of the evidence against them.
After throwing her from the private bus, the driver tried to run the victim over but she was pulled away by her companion, a senior police official said.
The woman died last week from injuries sustained during the attack, which investigators say took place over nearly an hour.
Police filed charges at a New Delhi court, although the accused were not present. The court will examine the charges on Saturday, duty magistrate Surya Malik Grover said.
“Hang these monsters”
Prosecutors have said they would press for the death penalty for the murder. The father of the victim has said he backed the chorus of calls for those responsible to be executed. “The whole country is demanding that these monsters be hanged. I am with them,” he told reporters in his home village of Mandwara Kalan in Uttar Pradesh state.
Media reports suggest around 30 witnesses have been found and the police report into the case already runs to more than 1,000 pages.
The witnesses include the woman’s friend who survived the hour-long attack and a man who said he was robbed by the same gang prior to the rape.
There have been daily protests in several Indian cities since the attack. The latest was called by Delhi’s Chief Minister. She has responded to demands to bring women’s rights to the forefront of Indian politics, where sexual violence is widespread and little is done to prosecute offenders.
- 1Putin adds diplomatic strand to bolster Syrian air strikes
- 2Russian cruise missiles strikes prompt global aviation officials to issue safety alerts
- 3Russia tries to reassure Saudi Arabia over Syria air strikes
- 4Iraqi military claims to have killed several senior ISIL members including leader al – Baghdadi
- 5Belarus election: Lukashenko wins landslide of more than 80 percent – exit polls
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 3Latest News Bulletin
- 4At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 5Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 6[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 10Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 11Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 12Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 13Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 14Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 15[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 16Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
- 17Fifa suspends Blatter, Platini and Valcke
- 18Kicked down in Hungary, saved by Spain
- 19Catalan president Artur Mas charged with organising illegal independence referendum
- 20Hungary’s army can shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at refugees
Wires > News
- 08:33 CET China opens bribery trial of ally to disgraced security chief
- 08:18 CET Japan may halt funds for UNESCO over Nanjing row with China
- 07:44 CET Growing Japan row over U.S. air base presents election risk for …
- 06:48 CET China’s army sends vehicles seized in graft crackdown to border…
- 04:19 CET New Zealand police arrest man over infant formula contamination…
- 03:55 CET Special Report – Battling for India’s soul, state by state
- 02:00 CET Washington state man who moved a river ordered to pay restitution
- 01:05 CET Clashes in Kosovo after opposition figure arrested