In India, five men have been formally charged with the gang-rape, murder and criminal conspiracy of a 23-year-old university student.
The attack – which took place last month on a moving bus in the capital New Delhi – has caused outrage, sparking demands for tough new rape laws.
The victim, a medical student, and her male companion were then beaten with iron bars before being thrown out of the bus.
Police have said the accused have admitted to torturing and raping the student “to teach her a lesson”. She fought back and bit three of them, according to a police source, and the bite marks are part of the evidence against them.
After throwing her from the private bus, the driver tried to run the victim over but she was pulled away by her companion, a senior police official said.
The woman died last week from injuries sustained during the attack, which investigators say took place over nearly an hour.
Police filed charges at a New Delhi court, although the accused were not present. The court will examine the charges on Saturday, duty magistrate Surya Malik Grover said.
“Hang these monsters”
Prosecutors have said they would press for the death penalty for the murder. The father of the victim has said he backed the chorus of calls for those responsible to be executed. “The whole country is demanding that these monsters be hanged. I am with them,” he told reporters in his home village of Mandwara Kalan in Uttar Pradesh state.
Media reports suggest around 30 witnesses have been found and the police report into the case already runs to more than 1,000 pages.
The witnesses include the woman’s friend who survived the hour-long attack and a man who said he was robbed by the same gang prior to the rape.
There have been daily protests in several Indian cities since the attack. The latest was called by Delhi’s Chief Minister. She has responded to demands to bring women’s rights to the forefront of Indian politics, where sexual violence is widespread and little is done to prosecute offenders.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Israel: Hamas praises Jerusalem attack which killed baby girl
- 2Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 3Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 4Police search for possible suspects following attack on Canada’s parliament
- 5Intruder sparks lockdown at the White House
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 16US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > News
- 22:58 CET Two dead, four wounded after student opens fire Washington state…
- 22:42 CET At least four dead in escape bid at model Dominican Republic jail
- 22:34 CET Lebanon army clashes with gunmen, kills two in Tripoli – sources
- 22:16 CET Mali’s first Ebola case, a two-year-old girl, dies – officials
- 22:14 CET U.S. general says he believes North Korea can build nuclear warhead
- 22:01 CET Canada vows tougher laws as citizens worry in face of attacks
- 21:34 CET Venezuela’s Maduro slams Spain’s Rajoy over jailed opponent
- 21:26 CET Attacks in Egypt’s Sinai kill at least 28 security personnel