In India, five men have been formally charged with the gang-rape, murder and criminal conspiracy of a 23-year-old university student.
The attack – which took place last month on a moving bus in the capital New Delhi – has caused outrage, sparking demands for tough new rape laws.
The victim, a medical student, and her male companion were then beaten with iron bars before being thrown out of the bus.
Police have said the accused have admitted to torturing and raping the student “to teach her a lesson”. She fought back and bit three of them, according to a police source, and the bite marks are part of the evidence against them.
After throwing her from the private bus, the driver tried to run the victim over but she was pulled away by her companion, a senior police official said.
The woman died last week from injuries sustained during the attack, which investigators say took place over nearly an hour.
Police filed charges at a New Delhi court, although the accused were not present. The court will examine the charges on Saturday, duty magistrate Surya Malik Grover said.
“Hang these monsters”
Prosecutors have said they would press for the death penalty for the murder. The father of the victim has said he backed the chorus of calls for those responsible to be executed. “The whole country is demanding that these monsters be hanged. I am with them,” he told reporters in his home village of Mandwara Kalan in Uttar Pradesh state.
Media reports suggest around 30 witnesses have been found and the police report into the case already runs to more than 1,000 pages.
The witnesses include the woman’s friend who survived the hour-long attack and a man who said he was robbed by the same gang prior to the rape.
There have been daily protests in several Indian cities since the attack. The latest was called by Delhi’s Chief Minister. She has responded to demands to bring women’s rights to the forefront of Indian politics, where sexual violence is widespread and little is done to prosecute offenders.
- 1Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
- 2Migrant crisis becomes hot political issue in Britain and France
- 3Ukraine: Civilians killed in shelling amid fragile truce
- 4Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
- 5Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 4MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Latest world news
US Marines face a reduction in numbers in the debate over defense cuts
French ferry workers burn tyres to block Calais port
Suspected Malaysia Airlines debris en route to France for inspection
Revenge calls as Palestinian boy dies in ‘Jewish settler’ arson attack
UK-France migrant crisis: Cameron pledges sniffer dogs and fencing
Wires > News
- 19:22 CET ‘Temporary’ not guilty plea entered for Charleston suspect
- 19:18 CET Early poll prospects grow as Turkish air strikes muddy coalition…
- 19:17 CET Reports of Haqqani network founder’s death, but family denies
- 19:14 CET Germany suspends treason probe against news website
- 18:51 CET Turkish warplanes hit Kurdish PKK militant targets in northern…
- 18:49 CET Zimbabwe calls for extradition of Cecil the lion’s killer
- 18:48 CET Al Qaeda in Syria says detains U.S-trained rebels
- 18:45 CET In a Yemen hospital, malnutrition menaces young lives