Rebels leading an insurgency in Central African Republic say are now prepared to begin peace talks with the government.
Seleka Coalition fighters had accused President Francois Bozize of reneging on an earlier peace deal. But they now say they’ll halt their current offensive.
Rebels are within striking distance of the capital Bangui after capturing several towns in central and eastern parts in recent weeks.
Bozize, who’s been president for 10 years, has offered to stand down in 2016, when his current term ends.
Neighbours Gabon, the Republic of Congo and Cameroon have sent more than 300 soldiers to bolster a 500-strong regional peacekeeping force.
Leaders have been trying to organise peace talks in Gabon on January 10, which now look likely to go ahead.
The former French colony, is one of the world’s poorest nations despite its rich deposits of uranium, gold and diamonds.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Hollande and Obama step up pressure on climate change ahead of COP21
Wires > News
- 21:41 CET Magnitude 6.4 earthquake hits southern Taiwan – USGS
- 20:36 CET Heavy clashes in southeast Libya, 30 killed
- 20:30 CET U.S., Britain eye letting UK spy agencies seek email, chat data…
- 20:03 CET Serbian minister dismissed over insult to journalist
- 19:30 CET Italian student killed in Egypt criticised Cairo government in…
- 19:27 CET White House welcomes Saudi announcement on fighting Islamic State
- 19:03 CET EU needs detention and removal centre for migrants – official
- 18:34 CET NASA says big asteroid could pass near Earth next month