Rebels leading an insurgency in Central African Republic say are now prepared to begin peace talks with the government.
Seleka Coalition fighters had accused President Francois Bozize of reneging on an earlier peace deal. But they now say they’ll halt their current offensive.
Rebels are within striking distance of the capital Bangui after capturing several towns in central and eastern parts in recent weeks.
Bozize, who’s been president for 10 years, has offered to stand down in 2016, when his current term ends.
Neighbours Gabon, the Republic of Congo and Cameroon have sent more than 300 soldiers to bolster a 500-strong regional peacekeeping force.
Leaders have been trying to organise peace talks in Gabon on January 10, which now look likely to go ahead.
The former French colony, is one of the world’s poorest nations despite its rich deposits of uranium, gold and diamonds.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
Explosions at Istanbul Ataturk airport ‘kill at least 10, wound 20 people’ – officials
Thousands protest in France as Senate approves controversial labour law
Schulz urges UK to make a speedy EU exit
Volkswagen to pay historic 15.3 billion dollars for cheating US emissions tests
‘‘chères collègues, do not let Scotland down now!”
Wires > News
- 22:16 CET Norway investigators blame Airbus helicopter crash on gearbox…
- 21:46 CET Former Nigerian ministers charged with laundering 4.9 bln naira
- 21:26 CET Russia, United States blame each other for maritime incident
- 21:10 CET EU leaders tell Britain to exit swiftly, market rout halts
- 20:36 CET Iraq’s top court invalidates Abadi’s partial cabinet reshuffle
- 20:34 CET Sweden, Kazakhstan, Ethiopia, Bolivia elected to U.N. Security…
- 20:31 CET Spain arrests 13 suspected of fraud at high-speed rail project
- 20:02 CET Russian warship carried out ‘unsafe’ operation near U.S. ships -…