The Portuguese president has asked the country’s top court to decide whether the controversial 2013 budget is legal.
The budget came into effect on Tuesday.
It was approved by parliament in November, despite opposition from the left who threatened to go to the consitutional court.
But Anibal Cavaco Silva has now seized the initiative, albeit after the fact.
Addressing the nation on television, he admitted that tax hikes and a reduction in social services would affect everyone, but some more than others.
This situation raises questions about the just and equal share of the burden, he said.
The budget measures are the toughest in living memory, with tax rises for most workers equivalent to a month’s wages.
Unemployment is nudging 16 percent. There has already been a general strike and street protests have become a familiar feature.
The country has to meet the terms of a 78 billion euro bailout deal from the eurozone and IMF.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
Fatal rebel rocket attack on government hospital in Aleppo says Syrian state TV
Spain arrests four men allegedly behind on-line Islamist Radicalisation plot
Probe indicates falsified documents in Flamanville nuclear plant construction
Turkey to abolish visas for Greek Cypriots
Australia vows no change in asylum policy after Somali woman sets herself on fire
Wires > News
- 12:22 CET China to investigate hospital dying student found on search engine
- 12:15 CET Rebel rockets hit Aleppo hospital, dozens of casualties – Syrian…
- 12:08 CET Czechs to hike healthcare salaries to stop doctors from leaving…
- 11:59 CET Spanish King calls national election for June 26
- 11:52 CET U.S. service member killed in Iraq – U.S. defence chief
- 11:48 CET France’s Hollande sends labour bill to parliament in face of…
- 11:38 CET Australian government delivers sombre election budget for…
- 11:13 CET China slashes influential Communist Youth League’s budget