Italy’s outgoing Prime Minister Mario Monti has promised to cut labour taxes to fuel growth on
at the start of his campaign for a second term.
Latest polls suggest the former European Commissioner’s centrist alliance wont win enough support to govern, but he’s indicated he wants to form a broad coalition of pro-Europe, pro-reform parties if he wins.
During an hour-long interview on state radio Monti said “Italians need measures to support families especially large ones. They need a functioning health system and a tax system to redistribute income from the richest people to the poorest people”
Allies until 12 days ago, the centre-right leaning People of Freedom party of four-time prime minister Silvio Berlusconi is expected to come third.
But given Italy’s complex electoral law, Berlusconi can not be counted out.
He accused Monti of being “no longer credible”, adding he had broken his word by entering the election race after promising he would stay out of politics when he took over as head of a technocrat government.
Berlusconi also said that he would cede the premiership to someone else should his bloc win the election, which could be a way of renewing his alliance with the Northern League party.
- 1Migrants with tickets denied access to Budapest train station
- 2Satellite images show ISIL destruction in Palmyra
- 3‘No person is illegal’ – Vienna holds rally for refugees
- 4Ukraine: deputies explain for and against the decentralisation law
- 5Hungary’s hardline stance on refugees ‘benefits’ people smugglers
- 1Hungary summons French ambassador over border fence row
- 2Protesters angry over destruction of ‘Mephistopheles’ in St Petersburg
- 3Ukraine: angry clashes as bill adopted granting more autonomy in the east
- 4French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
- 5Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 13Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 14ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 15Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 16Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 23:49 CET Pope to allow all priests to forgive abortion during Holy Year
- 23:07 CET U.S. drone kills six suspected militants in Pakistan
- 23:02 CET Western-backed Syrian rebels say kill foreign Islamic State…
- 23:00 CET Cameroon involved in Central Africa ‘blood diamond’ trade – …
- 22:54 CET Greek ship ferries hundreds more migrants to mainland
- 22:30 CET Friendly fire from Saudi-led coalition kills seven in Yemen -…
- 22:26 CET Migrant chaos at Budapest train station; Germany says EU rules…
- 22:04 CET Israel slams Palestinians’ push to fly their flag at U.N.