Italy’s outgoing Prime Minister Mario Monti has promised to cut labour taxes to fuel growth on
at the start of his campaign for a second term.
Latest polls suggest the former European Commissioner’s centrist alliance wont win enough support to govern, but he’s indicated he wants to form a broad coalition of pro-Europe, pro-reform parties if he wins.
During an hour-long interview on state radio Monti said “Italians need measures to support families especially large ones. They need a functioning health system and a tax system to redistribute income from the richest people to the poorest people”
Allies until 12 days ago, the centre-right leaning People of Freedom party of four-time prime minister Silvio Berlusconi is expected to come third.
But given Italy’s complex electoral law, Berlusconi can not be counted out.
He accused Monti of being “no longer credible”, adding he had broken his word by entering the election race after promising he would stay out of politics when he took over as head of a technocrat government.
Berlusconi also said that he would cede the premiership to someone else should his bloc win the election, which could be a way of renewing his alliance with the Northern League party.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 2Who is the EU’s worst at spending Brussels’ billions?
- 3ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 4New laws to ‘wipe out’ militants after Pakistan school massacre
- 5New Romanian President Klaus Iohannis vows to tackle corruption
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 3‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 4Australia: two hostages and gunman dead after police storm Sydney siege café
- 5ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 5Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 8NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 11Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 12The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 15Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 16Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 17Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 18Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
- 19Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 20Raids across Turkey target media outlets linked to Erdogan foe Fethullah Gulen | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 14:54 CET U.S. leads 22 more air strikes against Islamic State – task force
- 14:28 CET Pope says Vatican administration is sick with power and greed
- 14:20 CET Five killed as Libyan forces and Islamist fighters clash in…
- 14:05 CET Police fire on Myanmar protesters, one dead, 20 hurt – reports
- 13:59 CET Germany sees no need to ease Russia sanctions despite minister’s…
- 13:54 CET Ukraine threatens to cut off power to rebel-held regions if usage…
- 12:54 CET Dozens of suspected Kenyan separatists charged with police camp…
- 12:15 CET Budget pressure unlikely to deflect Iran from nuclear goals