Families of the victims of a stampede at a New Year’s Eve fireworks display in Ivory Coast are demanding to know how the tragedy could have killed so many.
Sixty-two people died and scores more were injured in the crush as people were leaving the event in the commercial capital Abidjan.
Several victims were young children.
The media was quick to blame security at the football stadium and called for the event organisers to be prosecuted.
Some editors said parents were irresponsible for letting young children watch fireworks in the middle of a huge crowd, late at night.
One local resident said: “We need an investigation to find out exactly what happened; and when we know who’s at fault, we need to take a decision and punishment should be handed out.”
President Alassane Ouattara and his wife visited several of the injured in hospital as three days of national mourning began. He has promised a full investigation.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 5Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 9Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 10Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 11How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 12Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 13Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 16International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 20eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
Wires > News
- 16:29 CET Philippine rebels kill most wanted Islamist militant in south
- 15:43 CET German prosecutors launch investigation of spying charges
- 15:31 CET Madagascar leader says ends house arrest of ex-president
- 14:52 CET Kerry in Kenya to offer help against militants – officials
- 13:19 CET Gunmen kidnap seven Pakistani police in Punjab attack
- 12:55 CET Saudi-led alliance hits airbase in Yemen’s Sanaa – residents
- 12:50 CET Austria wants refugee quota for each EU member to help absorb…
- 11:11 CET Former deputy’s graft sentence casts shadow on Iran’s Ahmadinejad