02/01/13 15:17 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Hundreds of women have been demonstrating in the Indian capital in memory of the victim of a brutal gang rape.
The silent march was one of several protests that have taken place in New Delhi as a debate intensifies over violence against women.
The victim died over the weekend in a Singapore hospital where she was being treated for severe injuries.
Outraged Indians have been demanding the death penalty for the six men accused, with marches like this almost a daily occurence since the rape two weeks ago.
A famous Mumbai bar was vandalised by a group of women who objected to staff serving a cocktail called rapist.
Women’s rights campaigners say such practices illustrate typical attitudes towards violent sexual crime.
Congress Party lawmaker, Vidya Chavan said: “It is shameful to know that some people do not consider rape as a heinous crime and use it in such a casual manner. The co-owner, Nevile seems to think that this is some kind of a joke. I think he has no respect for women.”
One woman is raped every 14 hours according to official estimates, while women across the country frequently complain of being victim to sexual intimidation and violence.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
French parliament debates controversial labour laws as street protests grow
Presidential hopefuls Trump and Clinton shape up as they head for the November 8 showdown
Aleppo – hopes a truce is only “hours away”
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Wires > News
- 20:56 CET Liberian presidential candidate Weah’s lawyers to go to U.S. over…
- 20:30 CET EU executive to propose reforming asylum system
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks
- 19:48 CET MSF slams major U.N. powers over hospital attacks
- 19:47 CET Israeli who abducted, killed Palestinian teen gets life term
- 19:22 CET Exclusive – Differences over missile defence, fine print snag…
- 19:05 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq
- 17:47 CET Tajik Islamists’ lawyer goes on trial on fraud, extremism charges