Hundreds of women have been demonstrating in the Indian capital in memory of the victim of a brutal gang rape.
The silent march was one of several protests that have taken place in New Delhi as a debate intensifies over violence against women.
The victim died over the weekend in a Singapore hospital where she was being treated for severe injuries.
Outraged Indians have been demanding the death penalty for the six men accused, with marches like this almost a daily occurence since the rape two weeks ago.
A famous Mumbai bar was vandalised by a group of women who objected to staff serving a cocktail called rapist.
Women’s rights campaigners say such practices illustrate typical attitudes towards violent sexual crime.
Congress Party lawmaker, Vidya Chavan said: “It is shameful to know that some people do not consider rape as a heinous crime and use it in such a casual manner. The co-owner, Nevile seems to think that this is some kind of a joke. I think he has no respect for women.”
One woman is raped every 14 hours according to official estimates, while women across the country frequently complain of being victim to sexual intimidation and violence.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 3Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 4Turkey’s Erdogan threatens Facebook & YouTube over ‘immorality and espionage’
- 5Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 02:45 CET Malaysia Airlines says lost contact with plane carrying 239 people
- 01:08 CET Malaysia’s Anwar convicted of sodomy, political future in doubt
- 00:38 CET Ted Turner rushed to clinic in Argentina with appendicitis – media
- 22:32 CET Three killed in Cairo clashes, 48 wounded across Egypt
- 21:50 CET U.S. special forces sent to train Iraqi special forces in Jordan
- 21:34 CET Latin American foreign ministers to discuss Venezuela unrest
- 21:26 CET Turkey’s former army chief freed from prison
- 21:03 CET Netanyahu says Israel would give up ‘some settlements’ for peace