For many Greeks, 2013 is likely to bring further financial hardship.
In the port city of Patras, a food bank is now helping 1,000 families who are struggling to make ends meet – more than double the number it was supporting two years ago.
Hundreds more people are on a swelling waiting list.
“I’m in a really bad state, I cannot survive,” said food recipient Constantina Vervitsanou.
“My children want milk, I don’t have it. I’m trying to find a job but I can’t find work,” she continued.
As debt-laden Greece battles to get back in the black, tough austerity measures are taking their toll on household budgets.
“I appeal to anyone that is listening to help the food bank. Not with money, but with products, so that we can help the ever increasing requests from our citizens, those who are under the poverty line,” said Theocharis Massaras, Social Director in Patras Municipality.
As well as food, unused medicines and clothes are also being donated to help those in need.
The overall unemployment rate in Greece stands at 26 percent.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
Fatal rebel rocket attack on government hospital in Aleppo says Syrian state TV
Spain arrests four men allegedly behind on-line Islamist Radicalisation plot
Probe indicates falsified documents in Flamanville nuclear plant construction
Turkey to abolish visas for Greek Cypriots
Australia vows no change in asylum policy after Somali woman sets herself on fire
Wires > News
- 12:22 CET China to investigate hospital dying student found on search engine
- 12:15 CET Rebel rockets hit Aleppo hospital, dozens of casualties – Syrian…
- 12:08 CET Czechs to hike healthcare salaries to stop doctors from leaving…
- 11:59 CET Spanish King calls national election for June 26
- 11:52 CET U.S. service member killed in Iraq – U.S. defence chief
- 11:48 CET France’s Hollande sends labour bill to parliament in face of…
- 11:38 CET Australian government delivers sombre election budget for…
- 11:13 CET China slashes influential Communist Youth League’s budget