For many Greeks, 2013 is likely to bring further financial hardship.
In the port city of Patras, a food bank is now helping 1,000 families who are struggling to make ends meet – more than double the number it was supporting two years ago.
Hundreds more people are on a swelling waiting list.
“I’m in a really bad state, I cannot survive,” said food recipient Constantina Vervitsanou.
“My children want milk, I don’t have it. I’m trying to find a job but I can’t find work,” she continued.
As debt-laden Greece battles to get back in the black, tough austerity measures are taking their toll on household budgets.
“I appeal to anyone that is listening to help the food bank. Not with money, but with products, so that we can help the ever increasing requests from our citizens, those who are under the poverty line,” said Theocharis Massaras, Social Director in Patras Municipality.
As well as food, unused medicines and clothes are also being donated to help those in need.
The overall unemployment rate in Greece stands at 26 percent.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 3South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 4Russia: Politician’s extraordinary tirade at pregnant journalist
- 5Ukraine offers devolution as pro-Russian separatists vow to continue protests
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
Wires > News
- 00:28 CET Iran says it watered down, converted over 200 kg of enriched…
- 00:21 CET U.N. peace envoy criticizes Israeli Easter security in Jerusalem
- 22:34 CET Sudanese militants kill two, kidnap three at oil field
- 22:31 CET Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter
- 22:15 CET Iran slams U.S. justice verdict on Manhattan skyscraper
- 21:21 CET Two killed by bomb inside Bahrain car – ministry
- 21:16 CET High stakes as restive Benghazi votes in Libyan local polls
- 20:49 CET Man under evaluation for alleged gun threat at L.A. Times building