For many Greeks, 2013 is likely to bring further financial hardship.
In the port city of Patras, a food bank is now helping 1,000 families who are struggling to make ends meet – more than double the number it was supporting two years ago.
Hundreds more people are on a swelling waiting list.
“I’m in a really bad state, I cannot survive,” said food recipient Constantina Vervitsanou.
“My children want milk, I don’t have it. I’m trying to find a job but I can’t find work,” she continued.
As debt-laden Greece battles to get back in the black, tough austerity measures are taking their toll on household budgets.
“I appeal to anyone that is listening to help the food bank. Not with money, but with products, so that we can help the ever increasing requests from our citizens, those who are under the poverty line,” said Theocharis Massaras, Social Director in Patras Municipality.
As well as food, unused medicines and clothes are also being donated to help those in need.
The overall unemployment rate in Greece stands at 26 percent.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 2Ukrainian army storms illegal checkpoints killing at least five
- 3MH370: bad weather halts search as ‘unidentified material’ found on Australian coast
- 4Turkish prime minister talks of ‘shared pain’ in statement on Armenian killings
- 5War of words grows more heated as Russia accuses the US of ‘running the show’ in Ukraine
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 5Dragon docks at International Space Station
Wires > News
- 19:48 CET Costa Rican ‘miracle’ woman was key to John Paul’s sainthood
- 19:23 CET Three Americans killed in Kabul hospital attack
- 19:12 CET At least six killed as poll violence hits restive Indian regions
- 19:01 CET Israel suspends peace talks after Palestinian unity bid
- 18:40 CET Netanyahu: Israel will never negotiate with Hamas-backed government
- 18:38 CET South Sudan to free prisoners as pressure mounts for peace deal
- 17:49 CET Egypt’s army says has ‘complete control’ over Sinai Peninsula
- 17:48 CET Israel suspends peace talks with Palestinians – Israeli official