For many Greeks, 2013 is likely to bring further financial hardship.
In the port city of Patras, a food bank is now helping 1,000 families who are struggling to make ends meet – more than double the number it was supporting two years ago.
Hundreds more people are on a swelling waiting list.
“I’m in a really bad state, I cannot survive,” said food recipient Constantina Vervitsanou.
“My children want milk, I don’t have it. I’m trying to find a job but I can’t find work,” she continued.
As debt-laden Greece battles to get back in the black, tough austerity measures are taking their toll on household budgets.
“I appeal to anyone that is listening to help the food bank. Not with money, but with products, so that we can help the ever increasing requests from our citizens, those who are under the poverty line,” said Theocharis Massaras, Social Director in Patras Municipality.
As well as food, unused medicines and clothes are also being donated to help those in need.
The overall unemployment rate in Greece stands at 26 percent.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 247 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 3Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 02:57 CET Venezuela’s world-famous ‘vertical slum’ may be demolished
- 23:23 CET Suicide bombs in Nigeria’s Kaduna kill 82, ex-leader Buhari…
- 23:21 CET India bids to reassert influence in Nepal with power pact
- 21:56 CET TransAsia Airways plane crashes in typhoon-hit Taiwan, killing 47
- 21:26 CET Chinese president ends regional tour in cradle of Cuban Revolution
- 19:28 CET Bulgaria’s prime minister resigns with bank crisis unresolved
- 18:12 CET Lebanese soldier defects to al Qaeda in Syria – video
- 17:42 CET Yemen president says Houthis agree to return town to state control