They are praying for their president amidst conflicting reports on his health. Claims in a Spanish newspaper say Hugo Chávez is in an induced coma being kept alive by life support.
His chosen successor Vice President Nicolas Maduro has been to the hospital in Cuba. He denounced rumours of a coma but admitted problems with the president’s recovery.
“He is completely conscious of the complexity of his post-operative state and he expressly asked us keep the people informed, always with the truth regardless of how hard it may be. He is in a complex situation and we are at all times waiting for his positive evolution,” he said.
His people have not seen or heard from the 58-year-old since his operation on December 11 his fourth as he battles cancer.
Doctors at the hospital could decide to switch off the life support machine, “at any time” according to the Spanish newspaper at the centre of the claims. It said the information came from sources at the hospital. Chávez is due to be sworn in on January 10 for his fourth term.
- 1Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 2Germanwings crash: Andreas Lubitz ‘received treatment for depression’
- 3German police remove items from flight 9525 co-pilot’s homes
- 4Author Scott Westerfeld captures dramatic footage after New York gas explosion
- 5Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 1Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 2Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 3Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 4French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately
- 5New reports claim Airbus crash voice recorder reveals pilot ‘was locked out of cockpit’
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 11Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 19:54 CET Syrian army and Hezbollah encircle Syrian city near border – TV
- 19:51 CET Nigeria president warns against bloodshed ahead of Saturday poll
- 19:35 CET Yemen Houthi rebels advance despite Saudi-led air strikes
- 19:12 CET Nigerians uprooted by Boko Haram angry at losing chance to vote
- 18:51 CET Islamist fighters kill seven in Somali hotel, troops regaining…
- 18:20 CET France to begin push for U.N. Middle East action in ‘coming weeks’
- 18:15 CET U.S. allies conduct 16 air strikes in Syria, Iraq
- 18:00 CET Congo Republic president says expects referendum over third term