To mark New Year’s Day, a free meal was organised for the homeless and poor in Athens – although soup kitchens in Greece have been busy since the euro crisis set in.
The country’s unemployment rate has hit a record 26 percent, and austerity is forcing more and more people to come for handouts.
“This is not the first nor the second meal I’ve had to come to here for. I’ve had many other meals, and it seems as if I’ll continue to need them because I don’t see the situation getting better and I have no hope. Everybody has abandoned us,” said one man who has worked less than two months in the last three years.
More than a third of the population now live below the poverty line, according to official estimates, so services like this are invaluable.
“The economic crisis has not reached it peak yet so we wait for more people to come. But I think that the most difficult period has passed,” said Athens mayor George Kaminis.
City officials say 600 people came for Tuesday’s free meal in Athens.
Several schemes across the country run by charities and the church are also providing free clothing, medicine and sometimes shelter.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 00:54 CET Sudanese Salafi group endorses Islamic State’s new caliphate
- 00:23 CET At least 15 killed by shelling of Gaza school; toll exceeds 760
- 00:19 CET Rival Libyan militias clash in Tripoli, Benghazi
- 23:41 CET Mali, northern rebels agree on ‘roadmap’ for peace talks
- 23:28 CET EU targets state-owned Russia banks in sanctions plan
- 23:12 CET Peres steps down as Israeli president, sees peace ‘one day’
- 23:09 CET French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane
- 22:47 CET U.N. panel tells Japan to compensate ‘comfort women’