Slovakian Veronika Velez Zuzulova began the new year in style by stunning World Cup leader Tina Maze in the final of a parallel slalom competition in Munich.
Zuzulova – who claimed her country’s first World Cup race in the Austrian resort of Semmering on Saturday – produced two blistering runs to upset the odds and this season’s form skier.
Austria’s Michaela Kirchgasser was third.
Germany’s Felix Neureuther thrilled the 15,000 fans in Munich’s Olympic Park as he beat defending overall world cup champion Marcel Hirscher in the men’s finale.
Neureuther was in fine form at the event which involves the 12 best slalom specialists and the four best all-rounders.
And in a tight final the 28-year-old claimed his first victory of the season crossing the line one tenth of a second faster than his Austrian opponent.
Although Hirscher earned 80 precious points in the overall standings to close the gap on Norway’s Aksel Lund Svindal, who was knocked out in the first round.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 15Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 16euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 17All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 18US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 19euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 16:59 CET Everton tell fans to avoid Lille city centre after clashes
- 16:23 CET Williams on verge of year-end No. 1 ranking
- 16:15 CET Williams back to her best in Bouchard battering
- 16:13 CET Worried sponsors pile pressure on West Indies
- 16:05 CET IOC has no concerns over Kosovo recognition
- 15:33 CET Kvitova ends three-year losing streak against Sharapova
- 14:52 CET Clermont’s Bardy suspended for five weeks
- 14:36 CET Rowntree purring as England’s pack settles down