Slovakian Veronika Velez Zuzulova began the new year in style by stunning World Cup leader Tina Maze in the final of a parallel slalom competition in Munich.
Zuzulova – who claimed her country’s first World Cup race in the Austrian resort of Semmering on Saturday – produced two blistering runs to upset the odds and this season’s form skier.
Austria’s Michaela Kirchgasser was third.
Germany’s Felix Neureuther thrilled the 15,000 fans in Munich’s Olympic Park as he beat defending overall world cup champion Marcel Hirscher in the men’s finale.
Neureuther was in fine form at the event which involves the 12 best slalom specialists and the four best all-rounders.
And in a tight final the 28-year-old claimed his first victory of the season crossing the line one tenth of a second faster than his Austrian opponent.
Although Hirscher earned 80 precious points in the overall standings to close the gap on Norway’s Aksel Lund Svindal, who was knocked out in the first round.
- 1Sochi 2015: Russia’s expensive Olympic village falling into ruin
- 2Sochi gears up for Sunday’s Russian Grand Prix
- 3South Korea’s Chung Mong-joon dismisses FIFA charges against him
- 4Holland and Sweden face crucial Euro qualifier fixtures
- 5Graham Jarvis beats Jonny Walker in thrilling Red Bull Sea to Sky Enduro final in Turkey
- 1Greek freejumper delights crowds in Santorini in the Redbull Art of Motion 2015 finals
- 2Liverpool manager sacked eight games in to Premier League
- 3Sochi 2015: Russia’s expensive Olympic village falling into ruin
- 4England dumped out of their own World Cup
- 5[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 1Djokovic takes the glory but both he and Nadal take the money in Thailand exhibition
- 2England dumped out of their own World Cup
- 3Greek freejumper delights crowds in Santorini in the Redbull Art of Motion 2015 finals
- 4Sochi 2015: Russia’s expensive Olympic village falling into ruin
- 5Champions League day two match preview
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 10Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 13Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 14Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 15Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 16Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 17International news | euronews, latest international news
- 18What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 19[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 20[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
Messi’s father faces jail over tax fraud charges
Holland and Sweden face crucial Euro qualifier fixtures
Graham Jarvis beats Jonny Walker in thrilling Red Bull Sea to Sky Enduro final in Turkey
Sochi gears up for Sunday’s Russian Grand Prix
South Korea’s Chung Mong-joon dismisses FIFA charges against him
Wires > Sport
- 01:21 CET Ireland assistant says new dad Keane will play Germany
- 00:08 CET Lack of experience costs England dear
- 23:39 CET Germany great Mueller suffering from Alzheimers – Bayern
- 22:48 CET Formula One could be sold this year – Ecclestone
- 22:00 CET De Bruyne to be given lead role for Belgium
- 21:08 CET Samoan Tuilagi suspended for five weeks
- 21:05 CET South American qualifiers start without elite quintet
- 20:21 CET Germany have one eye on the finals, Ireland one on Scotland