The plight of nearly half a million displaced Afghans is being highlighted by the United Nations in a call for more aid.
Makeshift refugee camps in the capital Kabul continue to grow, housing those who fled war zones in the rest of the country.
Afghanistan’s harsh winter brings additional hardship, say aid workers. This year, at least two children have died from the cold.
Haji Abdul Wahab, a migrant from Helmand province, now lives with his family at one camp in Kabul.
“As you can see, we have lots of problems. The snowfall the other night destroyed our mud house. Our children are living under plastic tents. It is very cold and due to the cold, all of our children have become sick and life is tough here,” said Wahab.
Aid agencies are scaling up efforts to avoid a repeat of what happened last year. More than 100 children died as the coldest winter in decades took officials by surprise.
This year, fuel, food, medicine and blankets are being distributed as well as plastic sheeting for the roofs of huts.
While billions of euros in development aid has been committed to Afghanistan, there is anger that it is still not reaching those who need it most.
The UN says it received half the cash it requested for humanitarian needs this year.
- 1Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note and ‘mystery illness’ raise more questions about co-pilot
- 2Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 3Airstrikes in Yemen: “Local people will pay a heavy price”
- 4Media respect called into question over Germanwings coverage
- 5Germanwings crash: Andreas Lubitz ‘received treatment for depression’
- 1Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 2Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 3Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 4French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately
- 5New reports claim Airbus crash voice recorder reveals pilot ‘was locked out of cockpit’
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 11Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 03:40 CET Two Saudi pilots eject over Red Sea, rescued with U.S. help: state…
- 02:22 CET Amanda Knox acquitted of murder by Italy’s top court
- 01:13 CET Nigerians vote in first genuine contest since end of dictatorship
- 23:43 CET Saudi blogger Badawi views survival of 50 lashes as miracle -…
- 22:48 CET Togo says to delay presidential election until April 25
- 22:24 CET Syrian army closes in on city near Lebanese border
- 22:22 CET Latvia says Russia’s military rhetoric is ‘alarming’
- 21:29 CET Saudi Arabia decides to restore ambassador to Sweden – Al Arabiya…