The plight of nearly half a million displaced Afghans is being highlighted by the United Nations in a call for more aid.
Makeshift refugee camps in the capital Kabul continue to grow, housing those who fled war zones in the rest of the country.
Afghanistan’s harsh winter brings additional hardship, say aid workers. This year, at least two children have died from the cold.
Haji Abdul Wahab, a migrant from Helmand province, now lives with his family at one camp in Kabul.
“As you can see, we have lots of problems. The snowfall the other night destroyed our mud house. Our children are living under plastic tents. It is very cold and due to the cold, all of our children have become sick and life is tough here,” said Wahab.
Aid agencies are scaling up efforts to avoid a repeat of what happened last year. More than 100 children died as the coldest winter in decades took officials by surprise.
This year, fuel, food, medicine and blankets are being distributed as well as plastic sheeting for the roofs of huts.
While billions of euros in development aid has been committed to Afghanistan, there is anger that it is still not reaching those who need it most.
The UN says it received half the cash it requested for humanitarian needs this year.
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 3Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
- 4Turkey detains journalists who allege army lorries carried weapons for ISIL
- 5Still no power in Crimea as protesters block repairs to pylons
- 1Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 2Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 3Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 4Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 5Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 4Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 5Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid
Latest world news
Ahead of COP21, climate-change activists prepare to march on London
Mali: at least 3 dead, 4 seriously injured in attack on UN base in Kidal
Police name Planned Parenthood shooting suspect
Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
Pope Francis praises Ugandan authorities for taking in refugees
Wires > News
- 13:22 CET Syrian army advances against Islamic State east of Aleppo – Syria…
- 13:14 CET Morocco arrests Turks suspected of Islamic State links
- 13:08 CET Insight: Gaffer tape and 500 euros – running guns to the heart of…
- 13:07 CET In search of Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti, focus on King Tut’s tomb
- 13:01 CET Some guns used in Paris attacks produced in ex-Yugoslavia’s arsenal
- 13:00 CET Germany’s Merkel urges strict, binding goals to tackle climate…
- 12:19 CET Gunmen kill four Egypt security personnel south of Cairo – sources
- 12:15 CET North Korea tested submarine-launched missile, but launch failed -…