Venezuela’s vice-president Nicolas Maduro is at the centre of Hugo Chávez’s inner circle, having been at his side for 20 years.
As Chávez condition seemed to worsen following further cancer treatment in Cuba, it was Maduro who appeared on television to update the people of Venezuela on the president’s health.
Born in the Venezuelan capital, Caracas, in 1962, Maduro became involved in politics as a high school student.
He then worked as a bus driver in Caracas before becoming a union leader in the 1990s.
He met Chávez in 1992. Maduro’s wife, lawyer Cilia Flores, headed the legal defence team that got Chávez out of prison after a failed coup attempt.
Maduro is one of the founders of Chávez’s United Socialist Party of Venezuela and helped draft the new constitution for South America’s largest oil economy.
In August 2006 Chávez made him foreign minister, and as Venezuela’s chief diplomat, the former union leader man became the biggest international booster for the left-wing political ideology known as “Chávismo” – the number one man pushing the Chávez vision of a federation of revolutionary republics for Latin America.
Maduro is also a leading light of ALBA, the regional trade bloc for the Caribbean and Latin America, promoted by Cuba and Venezuela as a rival to the Free Trade Area of the Americas proposed by Washington.
Maduro uses the same sort of radical rhetoric as his mentor, but lacks Chávez’s charisma.
Last October, his loyalty was rewarded. Just after being re-elected as president, Hugo Chávez, named Maduro to a key position of power.
Then in December, before heading back to Cuba for more treatment for his apparently worsening cancer, Chávez designated Maduro as his successor should he not survive, urging his supporters to vote for Maduro if a new presidential election was needed.
- 1Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 2Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 3How to talk to kids about tragedies such as the Paris attacks
- 4Turkey and Russia trade barbs as tensions mount over downed jet
- 5Muslims in Russian Federation, under police pressure (some) enlist with ISIL
- 1Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
- 2Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 3Hollande adds Italy to his coalition before heading to Moscow
- 4Media war Turkish and Russian press react to downed fighter
- 5Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3International news | euronews, latest international news
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 51000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 14Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 16Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 17No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 18‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 19Latest sport news
- 20Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
Latest world news
USA: estimates suggest early Black Friday sales not up to the mark
Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
US: man arrested after jumping White House fence
Probe opens into murder of Venezuelan opposition leader
Turkey: two journalists jailed over Syria smuggling reports
Wires > News
- 10:47 CET Kremlin says Turkey’s Erdogan requests meeting with Putin in Paris
- 10:30 CET Beijing to toughen car emission standards by 2017 to cut pollution
- 10:29 CET Turkey has ‘big interest’ in revitalising EU ties – Germany
- 10:20 CET Germany arrests man who may have sold guns to Paris attackers
- 10:19 CET Islamic State claims responsibility for attack on Bangladesh…
- 10:07 CET Thai junta faces backlog of industry problems as global scrutiny…
- 09:53 CET Chinese rights activist jailed for six years
- 09:17 CET Putin seeks map of forces not to bomb in Syria – France