Venezuela’s vice-president Nicolas Maduro is at the centre of Hugo Chávez’s inner circle, having been at his side for 20 years.
As Chávez condition seemed to worsen following further cancer treatment in Cuba, it was Maduro who appeared on television to update the people of Venezuela on the president’s health.
Born in the Venezuelan capital, Caracas, in 1962, Maduro became involved in politics as a high school student.
He then worked as a bus driver in Caracas before becoming a union leader in the 1990s.
He met Chávez in 1992. Maduro’s wife, lawyer Cilia Flores, headed the legal defence team that got Chávez out of prison after a failed coup attempt.
Maduro is one of the founders of Chávez’s United Socialist Party of Venezuela and helped draft the new constitution for South America’s largest oil economy.
In August 2006 Chávez made him foreign minister, and as Venezuela’s chief diplomat, the former union leader man became the biggest international booster for the left-wing political ideology known as “Chávismo” – the number one man pushing the Chávez vision of a federation of revolutionary republics for Latin America.
Maduro is also a leading light of ALBA, the regional trade bloc for the Caribbean and Latin America, promoted by Cuba and Venezuela as a rival to the Free Trade Area of the Americas proposed by Washington.
Maduro uses the same sort of radical rhetoric as his mentor, but lacks Chávez’s charisma.
Last October, his loyalty was rewarded. Just after being re-elected as president, Hugo Chávez, named Maduro to a key position of power.
Then in December, before heading back to Cuba for more treatment for his apparently worsening cancer, Chávez designated Maduro as his successor should he not survive, urging his supporters to vote for Maduro if a new presidential election was needed.
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2US: Cars parked on frozen lake rescued after ice cracks
- 3Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5S Korea denounces N Korea rocket launch as ‘unacceptable provocation’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 8Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 9Partnering to grow Europe
- 10Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 13Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 18latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
Latest world news
33 migrants killed as two boats capsize off Turkey’s Aegean coast
Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
Taiwan: more survivors are pulled from the rubble
US election: New Hampshire gears up for first presidential primary
Thousands of Syrians stranded in ‘desperate situation’ on Turkish border
Wires > News
- 13:02 CET Lawyers see limited legal options for workers sent in Zika’s way
- 12:47 CET IS forced to cut fighters’ pay 50 percent because of airstrikes…
- 12:44 CET EU drugs agency sets up Zika task force to speed vaccine work
- 12:20 CET Before New Hampshire primary, Trump campaign shows mellower side
- 12:19 CET Russia says arrests seven Islamic State militants over attack plot
- 12:07 CET Spanish grave opened on order of Argentine judge unearths painful…
- 11:08 CET North Korea rocket launch may spur U.S. missile defence buildup in…
- 11:06 CET Somalia plane bomber was meant to be on Turkish flight – airline…