At least 60 people have been killed in a stampede as they were leaving a New Year fireworks display in Ivory Coast.
According to state radio, as many as 200 others were injured in the crush outside a large stadium in Abidjan, the former capital city.
The 65,000 capacity stadium was named after the country’s founding president Felix Houphouet Boigny.
Officials say a large crowd had gathered to watch the New Year spectacle. The stampede occurred at around 2am local time.
Most of the dead are believed to be children aged between eight and 15.
Some reports say thousands of people were trying to leave the venue as other large groups were trying to get in.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 63D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 7Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 8Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 9Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 10Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 11Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 12Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 13British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 14Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 15The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 16Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 17#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 18Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 19Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 20euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > News
- 12:23 CET Five dead in helicopter crash in France near Swiss border
- 12:20 CET Putin says sanctions will not stop Russia becoming economic power
- 12:10 CET Putin says Russia wants to move to national currencies in trade
- 11:53 CET Rapists confess as Kenyan cleric takes up equality struggle
- 11:37 CET U.N. nuclear watchdog pushes for headway in Iran inquiry -…
- 11:31 CET North Korea, already under U.N. sanctions, prepares launch site…
- 10:58 CET Modi aims to shake up sanitation with Clean India drive
- 10:43 CET Interpol opens Singapore centre to fight cyber crime