Pakistan has freed the ex-justice minister of the Taliban, along with three other prisoners.
Talks have been underway to get certain Taliban detainees freed to help bolster the peace process.
Pakistan had already released 13 Afhgan Taliban members in November.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai established his 70-member High Peace Council more than two years ago to open negotiations with militants.
However, the council has struggled to manage the distrust between militants and the government in Kabul.
NATO troops are scheduled to withdraw from Afghanistan by the end of 2014 and Kabul hopes releasing senior figures will help integrate militants into peace talks.
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 3Missing EgyptAir flight made no “swerves” before crashing – Cairo
- 4French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 5Austria’s president-elect talks of uniting his divided country
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
EgyptAir crash: ‘suggestion of explosion on board,’ says Egyptian forensic official
Iran appoints hardliner Ahmad Jannati to lead powerful assembly
Obama ‘significantly concerned’ about civil liberties in Vietnam
Greece begins evacuation of Idomeni refugee camp
Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
Wires > News
- 13:34 CET Rome prosecutors suspect mafia of rigging exam for prison guard…
- 13:09 CET French police break up refinery blockade in anti-reform showdown
- 13:08 CET Israel resumes cement shipments for private Gaza reconstruction…
- 13:00 CET Greece starts moving migrants camped at border to state facilities
- 12:59 CET Cyprus president cuts short Turkey trip after protocol row
- 12:55 CET Surge in eastern fighting kills seven Ukrainian soldiers – official
- 12:49 CET Thai blaze victim, 10, ‘called for her mum and dad until voice was…
- 12:39 CET EU executive gives Poland more time in rule of law probe